At least I got a break today and did the same thing as Runnah... :)

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Being a chef sucks on holidays.. Went in at 8 and worked until 10:30 tonight. I left my house super early so I could check a nest real quick because I new the light would be good. Got an hour break and went back to the nest and made a quick stop at a park.. comments welcome..

Angry Osprey 5_11 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Hai There Osprey 5_11 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Osprey incoming 5_11 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Osprey landing 5_11 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Snowy Egret 2 5_11 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

2 and 5 for me. 5 looks a little dim. Thankyou for posting, real nice.

#4 !! That look and sharp details does it for me Kris, the intense stare makes it stand out IMO. Wonderful sharp details and the eyes have it. Beautiful capture of the Egret, love those wings up and a good reflection as well. All great shots as usual Kris, #4 is just so powerful.

All the best Kris, excellent work.

Danny.

# 2 has meme written all over it!

Not sure exactly what that meme would be, something like..." YOU DID WHAT?!?!"

Copycat. I need a longer lens!

Our best friend is a chef here on Cape Cod at a high end place, so I can relate to your work load!
You have got to give me some clue as to how you keep the details on a white bird!!
All are great as usual. Were these with your 7100?
Nancy

^ Yes, I am curious if he shoots to expose the white of the bird perfectly, then increases the shadows for the other details or if he shoots to expose the other details and reduces the highlights to get the detail in the white. <--- Yes, that made sense in my head.

^ Yes, I am curious if he shoots to expose the white of the bird perfectly, then increases the shadows for the other details or if he shoots to expose the other details and reduces the highlights to get the detail in the white. <--- Yes, that made sense in my head.

I know I tend to exposure a touch darker than normal to preserve the highlights. Then bring up shadows in post. Easier than trying to recover highlight details.

Thanks for all of those nice comments! Nancy, yes D7100..
Bribrius, I normally shoot White birds intentionally like this. I really like the darker tones and it's about metering..

The metering I generally use depends on the time of day/light. If it is early morning or the sun is diffused, I generally shoot pretty close to neutral. As the sun gets brighter, I stay in Matrix metering but I lower my EC between .7 and 2+ negative EC depending on the look I want. I always drop down 1 to start and then check my histogram.. Depending on the light, I sometimes go to spot metering, but if the birds start running around chasing fish it gets really difficult not to clip the whites...

I guess I somehow missed this thread earlier. Glad I stumbled upon it so I could see the awesomeness of#4.

Most reactions

Back