Attempt at a portrait

mpdc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
2-21-06--002.jpg

Any help? Recomendations?

I like the natural-ness of this picture but the blown out white streak on the left side of the picture is quite distracting. Also, the pic seems a little bright too me. Maybe increasing the shadows (a smudge) would help along with some soft contrast. Otherwise, nice job!

Taralyn Romero said:
I like the natural-ness of this picture but the blown out white streak on the left side of the picture is quite distracting. Also, the pic seems a little bright too me. Maybe increasing the shadows (a smudge) would help along with some soft contrast. Otherwise, nice job!
Thanks I had not noticed that white out till you said something. Thankyou. I shall try to fix it up a tad.

it would be very easy to fix the blown out area in photoshop. the lightness looks great on my monitor.:thumbup::mrgreen:

This one makes me look at it wishing for it to be "alive" so in the next instance she would look up (please!) and look at us, so we'd get to see her eyes (for once? Yes? Please!).

The bright lefthand part can be fixed by a simple crop, so that is no big deal. I wonder how she likes her bra showing though? And the "waves" of her cardigan? It is through this very board that I have "learned" (well: heard, to be honest, if I have learned it is yet to show ;)) that you also have to have a close eye on the clothes and how they sit and fit for portrait photography.

Experts: correct me if I am wrong.

(By the way, the real portrait experts such as Pete Christie and MarkC mostly check out the Wedding and Portrait Forum only, so you might get more hints over there? Sometimes, however, you can only HOPE for some hints or markers there but never get them..................)

I'd say crop to vertical. This would lose the highlight on the left and some of the wasted space. When doing a portrait, the BG/FG distractions are as important as the model. They can be used in focus, as you have, to give context or not used by lowering depth of field. For a natural portrait, you're not far off at all.

Rob

the bg is very critical to portraits... agree with rob there^^^
like the expression you caught :D :D :D
give it another shot if you can... good model :thumbsup:

Mansi said:
the bg is very critical to portraits... agree with rob there^^^
like the expression you caught :D :D :D
give it another shot if you can... good model :thumbsup:

I agree, the thing that is bothering me most about this portrait is the line in the background when the curten stops and the wall starts. I like to keep backgrounds very clean or really wack them out of focus!

Very nice model and good capture! Just watch the little detials like these guys have already said (braw showing)

n---->:)

Rob said:
I'd say crop to vertical. This would lose the highlight on the left and some of the wasted space. When doing a portrait, the BG/FG distractions are as important as the model. They can be used in focus, as you have, to give context or not used by lowering depth of field. For a natural portrait, you're not far off at all.

Rob

Thank you.

About the bra. Yeah when I was taken the photo I didnt even notice it, but now looking at the picture yes its distracting and a tad out of place I think.

BG. I know the BG is just wrong. I didnt realize the kitchen would come tho. But the eyes are here.

playing045.jpg

Most reactions

Back