What's new

Attempt at capturing a muzzle flash.

TheMightyGoat

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
I did this more for documenting purposes than artistic ones but I think it turned out fairly interesting.

Taken at night with a single flash on a timer.

P1060091c.jpg
 
It is interesting indeed! Good job. Don't understand "on a timer" though. Can you elaborate on your set up?
 
It is interesting indeed! Good job. Don't understand "on a timer" though. Can you elaborate on your set up?

Meaning it was a camera-mounted flash and the camera was on a self-timer on a tripod.
 
It is interesting indeed! Good job. Don't understand "on a timer" though. Can you elaborate on your set up?

Meaning it was a camera-mounted flash and the camera was on a self-timer on a tripod.
I still don't understand how that coincides with the timing of the shot itself. How did you coordinate the two?
 
Good shot! Reminds me of the old Nikon advertisements from the early 1980's when they invented the world's first 1/4000 second focal plane shutter, showing a .38 Special bullet moving through the air as a demonstration of what 1/4000 second could do.

It looks to me like we're seeing the bullet moving through space in your photo as well. Cool!
 
It is interesting indeed! Good job. Don't understand "on a timer" though. Can you elaborate on your set up?

Meaning it was a camera-mounted flash and the camera was on a self-timer on a tripod.
I still don't understand how that coincides with the timing of the shot itself. How did you coordinate the two?

Oh. You mean "shot" as in the shot from the pistol. Not the image from the camera.

Yeah. I practiced. I pulled the trigger exactly when the self-timer ran out.
 
Yup, you can see the bullet in flight just in front of the muzzle. The slide has just began its rearward travel.

Great shot. I would be interested in hearing how you triggered your shot as well to time it with the firing of the pistol.
 
Yup, you can see the bullet in flight just in front of the muzzle. The slide has just began its rearward travel.

Great shot. I would be interested in hearing how you triggered your shot as well to time it with the firing of the pistol.

Just practice. I stood in front of the camera as the timer was going off and got a feel for when the flash was about to fire. Then I would pull the trigger at the same time.

I have a bunch of other shots of shells ejecting and the like, if anyone is interested, but none quite so interesting as the one I posted.
 
Ah, thanks for the follow-up.

I figured it was a VERY lucky shot. Literally one in a million!
 
I would be QUITE surprised if this shot was real. The red color near the muzzle and the total lack of movement in the slide are very strange. This was a decent attempt at Photoshopping a muzzle flash but it just seems too motionless to me.
 
I would be QUITE surprised if this shot was real. The red color near the muzzle and the total lack of movement in the slide are very strange. This was a decent attempt at Photoshopping a muzzle flash but it just seems too motionless to me.
Before inferring that someone's a liar, you might want to get do a little research and get some information about how such shots are achieved...

It was done in the dark / near-dark with a flash that freezes the action because it only lasts a fraction of a second. It's the same way that high-speed photography is done.

Example: These http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/178920-milk-drops.html splashes I shot are a full 2 seconds long on exposure time, but they're not blurred because the flash freezes them in place.
 
I do not know anything about these kind of shoots. Jib dose have a point about the tip of the gun is red. I have an airsoft gun that has a red tip like that too. But maybe regular guns have red tips? I do not know anything about guns either.

Regardless of whether it is photoshopped or not it is a pretty cool looking shot. I would be interested to know if this shot is photoshopped or not.
 
I do not know anything about these kind of shoots. Jib dose have a point about the tip of the gun is red. I have an airsoft gun that has a red tip like that too. But maybe regular guns have red tips? I do not know anything about guns either.

Regardless of whether it is photoshopped or not it is a pretty cool looking shot. I would be interested to know if this shot is photoshopped or not.
It's a real gun with real gunpowder that makes a real explosion that creates a flash of light that exits the end of the barrel.

That said, I don't see the reason yet to assume that this is a Photoshop creation. I'm pretty sure I could recreate this effect with a gun and without Photoshop, but I'd probably use a sound trigger to time it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom