attempting multiple exposures without a DSLR

Yahoozy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
unfortunately i dont have a DSLR for another month (sadly im limited to "birthday funds") but i am working on a yearbook shot for my high school

anyway, im using the school's outdated Fujifilm (i think) prosumer camera which isnt terrible, just doesnt have the same effect of a DSLR

but the shot is composed of maybe 25 shots and is mainly someone (maybe me maybe another random student) sitting in each desk in a classroom, with one more up front teaching it

im using the school's multimedia room (with fairly even lighting), and with only 1 chair in the shot (it moves with the subject in each shot) to avoid any of the obvious problems

just wondering if anyone has any tips for multiple exposures (both in the shooting and editing in photoshop)

thanks

if your camera allows multiple exposure, you could do that without needing to edit in photoshop. but problem will be to light it, and considering the amount of shots you're planning, I would say it's rather impossible to try that with a basic in-camera multi-exposure.

so, although mul-exposure is a really nice thing to do, I'm afraid you'll need to work that in edition since it sounds like too complicated a project

i usually did multiple exposure on one frame then.. but not sure if your camera allows to stop the film from moving forward after each exposure.

Need more info on the camera, if it is digital, I don’t recall ever hearing of doing multiple exposure in the camera

With Photoshop you could use a layer for each image, erasing the un-want area, and blend the cut edges with the __________ command (cannot recall the command name and it may require layers between each subject layer), and then set transparently as desired for each layer

If I understand you correctly, I don't think this can be done with multiple exposures on a single piece of film without producing a room full of very faint ghosts. The camera needs to be able to be locked at one exposure setting (aperture and shutter speed) and preferably one focus setting, and fixed on a tripod. Take one picture per student location, then make a composite in Photoshop or whatever. Be careful not to move the desks or the camera between exposures.

Good luck,
Helen

and ive already done something like it to get an idea of what to do
no, theres not a multiple exposure option in camera, and in fact that may be the wrong word for what im trying to do...
but heres my rough draft of one with 5 guys

multipleexposures.jpg

(disregard the Halloween pajamas and the panda on a spring =P)

ok, something like that would be difficult with multiple exposures on one piece of film. But you can do it in different situations when you illuminate the subject strongly with a short range flash.

but as we now know, it is digital anyway ;)

hahah yup
but the most obvious problem im seeing here is the differing exposures from the different subjects, hence the magnetic lassoing to avoid a circle of different shades around different subjects
whats the best way to fix this in photoshop?

not an expert in these photoshop things, sorry. actually, the person on these looks like it lacks contrast in comparison to the background.

eh, that's what a 3 year old cybershot gets you in weak light hahah
i got another one in daylight that looks better, just not completely done with it yet hahah

Most reactions

Back