What's new

Attract and Repel

W.Y.Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 10, 2014
Messages
874
Reaction score
203
Location
Harlem, NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From my series Attract and Repel
These are five years old so I am including a self crit, feel free to add to it, I am aware these leave a lot to be desired.

007.jpg



006.jpg






Self crit: First off, the lighting on the teddy bear in the first image is god awful and just needs to be redone. The entire subject is off to the right a bit making the image unbalanced which is the exact opposite of what is wanted with this type of shot.

Both images need either some retouching or a better way of lighting the red "floor" of the image. The horizon point needs to be straitened on both as well and in the second image it is much thicker and darker to the left which is annoying.

Also in the first, The teddy bears right paw could use some fill lighting and the DoF is too shallow.



I have included these images in my portfolio as they are some of the only still life's I have that I am even close to fond of currently. Would I be better off taking them out or are they good enough to show that I know how to use a studio? Thanks in advance for the help.
 
First off, someone else is gonna say this: if you already know what is wrong with it and are critiquing yourself, why not re-shoot and then post?

Aside from that, this looks pretty neat. However, I'm not sure what to think when I'm looking at this image, I'm sort of just confused. That's my personal opinion, but it's possible others would think that way too, so I would reconsider putting them in your portfolio as is.
 
I actually was thinking someone would ask this and thought about saying why in the OP. I no longer own the bear or the skull so I would need to start from scratch, though I do plan on doing that at some point, I have no money to throw at still life currently, or a large enough apartment to do a studio shoot. I very much enjoyed shooting this series but these are the only semi-good images from it so I'd love to re-do the whole thing.

To give them some context, these are two from a set of about 10 still life's which paired attractive and repulsive objects together as a study of the odd feelings these pairs create.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom