Austin TX Wedding - W Hotel Downtown

Maggedy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are from my 4th wedding as primary shooter. Some of you might recognize Melissa. She's one of my favorite models and has become a good friend. I was delighted to be able to shoot her wedding to Morgann. All shots taken at the W Hotel, downtown Austin TX. Shot mostly with 5D2, Sigma 50 1.4 and on camera flash. I really wanted to work with OCF for the bride and groom portraits, but as weddings often go, everyone was late and we were pressed for time so I stuck with what I know.

CC is welcome (yeah, I see the hand chops. Sigh).

First some of the bride ...

IMG9037-216-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9067-246-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9040-219-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9073-252-after-sm-XL.jpg

And the bride and groom ...

IMG9148-74-after-bw-XL.jpg

IMG9160-86-after-sm-XL.jpg

And others of the happy couple ...

IMG9163-89-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9228-154-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9177-103-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9084-10-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9147-73-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9162-88-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9216-142-after-sm-XL.jpg

IMG9189-115-after-sm-XL.jpg

Hey.. I think you did a good job! They will be happy. If I have to critique something is probably the way you bounced your flash. How did you do it?

Last edited:
What absolutely AMAZING shots! wow. You're awesome. I love 8, it's so sweet.

Thanks so much NadiaC! Schwettylens, I had a tough time with the flash. I tried to bounce off walls and ceilings, but the ceilings were very high and sometimes I was so close to the wall it didn't look good. I really really wanted to use OCF for these portraits but I don't have a lot of experience with it, and I've never tried it for a wedding. We were already late so I abandoned the idea. I'm going to practice a lot more in the next few weeks though and try to use it for the B&G shots at my next wedding in October.

# 13 and 14 = Funny, I don't seem to remember letting anyone shoot a B&G in my music room, lol. What is this record collection doing in a hotel? Or is this not what this looks like to me?

# 13 and 14 = Funny, I don't seem to remember letting anyone shoot a B&G in my music room, lol. What is this record collection doing in a hotel? Or is this not what this looks like to me?

Haha. The record wall was in the lobby of the hotel. We thought it made kind of a cool backdrop ...

Vinyl is most definitely cool :lmao:

But you may want to crop the bottom since his shoes are lost in the darkness of the case...

Isn't it a little late for you cloud??
:sexywink:
Or sorry.....early?!

I was somewhat struck by so many stark stares from the bride... is that intentional?

I was somewhat struck by so many stark stares from the bride... is that intentional?
Me three... she has to be the most unsmiling bride I've ever seen.

I'm curious about #3; why did you choose to focus on her back, rather than the reflection?

Me three... she has to be the most unsmiling bride I've ever seen.

I'm curious about #3; why did you choose to focus on her back, rather than the reflection?

She's smiling in half the shots posted, but the ones with the stare are pretty typical for her. She does some modeling and wanted some "posey" and "fashiony" shots since we had the run of the lobby at the W and its atmosphere is pretty modern. I've worked with her several times, and usually I get more sexy eye contact that goes along with "the stare", but her freaking dad tagged along on the photoshoot with his camera and I think that unnerved her a bit. She definitely didn't want the typical "Mom" shots (B&G smiling straight at the camera stuff). We took some of those because you have to get them, but she wanted untraditional.

On #3, I actually have both versions of the shot, where her reflection is in focus and back out of focus and vice versa. I like them both. I'll probably put them side by side when I put this wedding up on my blog.

Most reactions

Back