Auto or Manual Focus?

rodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I sometimes use auto focus, but I wanted to get your opinions.

A co-worker of mine said I should never be using Auto Focus and to always manual focus?

What do you guys think or do?

Wow, that's kind of extreme...

I use auto focus most of the time. Basically, I only use manual focus when auto focus fails, or is just inconvenient. (Macro, low light, a few other situations...)

Manual focus when I have the time to (non-moving objects, landscapes, low-light, need focus other than where AF puts it, ect), auto-focus when shooting sports, cars in motion, some landscapes, when I'm lazy :)))ect.

I was thinking the same thing! I mean Auto Focus is great for certain shots! But to say "you should always be using manual!"

Yikes!!!

I think your co-worker has issues..

There's a lot of technology that goes into the autofocus systems on modern cameras. Would be a shame to go to waste.

Also, who the hell can manual focus with some of the smaller, darker view finders in the lower end models? Erg.

Did your co-worker state why ?

I'm guessing in hopes of vicariously starting a holy war on an internet message board. Apparently his coworker hasn't heard of the low hanging fruit like RAW vs Jpeg, Nikon vs Canon, Less Filling vs Great Taste... etc

Hmm, yes ... if my DSLR camera had large bright split image focusing screen, I would shoot manually most of the time.

i use auto-focus when i press the shutter button and all my lens does is like 'weee--weee' and just keep turning. but then i have the cheap nikon d40 so maybe its only me

... sounds like:

Never use Auto/Program Exposure, always use Manual Exposure.

i use auto-focus when i press the shutter button and all my lens does is like 'weee--weee' and just keep turning. but then i have the cheap nikon d40 so maybe its only me

That's "hunting", usually because of low light. Outside in bright sun, it should focus pretty fast.

I use manual focus, and exposure, i got into the habit when my photo 1 teacher said we could not use auto focus or exposure.... and still do, i can definately see the pros in auto focus at times, but i actually have fun doing it all myself

There's just not a good reason to manual focus unless you are in a situation where auto-focus isn't working correctly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back