Automatic ISO

Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so i am just wondering if this feature exists on all SLR's or maybe just the higher end ones or maybe none at all?

The feature would be that you would be shooting in Aperture priority as you wanted a particular depth of field. As you panned your camera or just from changing light over time the respective shutter speed will fluctuate.

So is it possible to lock in to your camera a range of shutter speeds that are acceptable (for instance 1/1000 sec to 1/4000 sec). Then if the light determines that your camera will under/overexpose within these shutterspeeds your camera will automatically adjust your ISO to stay within the range obviously staying as low as possible?

So am i making sense? Is this a feature on may cameras. Have i got it on my own and just dont realise it? (400d)

Sadly I don't know which (if any) canon cameras its on, though its something that I do wish for also.
As for the 400D I am pretty sure its not on that camera at all - if it is its been hinding from me too!

I think it's on the 450D and newer models... Not sure, but I know the newer ones have it - I just can't remember what model it starts on.

I don't have it (350D), and I'm not even sure if I would use it were it available...
It would probably be useful sometimes, but for the type of shooting I usually do, it would be of little use to me.

The 'mode' that I don't have, that the newer ones do (and I think I would like), is highlight tone priority.

Nikon D200 and up all have it, but I never use it... I prefer to have total control over my camera, rather than let the camera decide what ISO is good for me.

Being able to set a range is quite handy when panning in and out of shadows. Letting the camera automatically change between 200 and 800 ISO on it's own is very useful. You can set the top level to Hi if you really want.

Its certainly a feature which I feel would be used a lot more on, say, a 5DM2 when tracking something moving from light to shadowed environments since it has a high range of usable ISOs - as opposed to on lower end cameras where the range of usables ISOs is often much smaller (this is especaily the case when you factor in the quality demands of the in question since most people don't like highly noisy shots)

Its certainly a feature which I feel would be used a lot more on, say, a 5DM2 when tracking something moving from light to shadowed environments since it has a high range of usable ISOs - as opposed to on lower end cameras where the range of usables ISOs is often much smaller

I'm not knocking the feature... and I know how it works, but on my D200 and now D700, I found that many of my shots were at a higher ISO than they needed to be. On a camera that has cleaner higher ISO if it can be the difference between saving a shot or not for someone less experienced, then it is a boon, however, I find that when I take control of all aspects of my camera controls, I may sometimes get a few less keepers, but the keepers I get are of a higher quality.

It's a trade-off that I think most people will have to decide on themselves. :)

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I agree its better to have total control however when shooting on the go especially for sports photography where a high shutter speed might be essential and a shot might be missed when going back to the camera to up your ISO because the light is not there I think it would be very useful.

Id be interested to hear more about Highlight tone priority. What is it for starters!

Thanks again
T

Most reactions

Back