Automatic Vs. Manual Settings

LisaMarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok just a quick question for the pro's, how much do you tend to use the auto settings as opposed to the manual settings? I find i tend to use the auto alot more than the manual settings for most of my shots (of course unless i am looking for a particularily look), i usually figure the rest can be photoshoped (to a point of course). How about everyone else (just a question out of basic curiousity really)!!

Lisa

I am not a pro. But I usually use Aperture Priority mode or Manual mode. Manual mode for sure if external flash(es) is/are used.

I'm no pro, but I like to use Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority a lot. I never use full auto because I like to learn what makes a picture turn out correctly, and it often thinks I need flash when I don't. I use full manual if I have time to experiment with different settings, but not often if I'm just walking around getting shots. I'm trying to use it more as I improve though.

Thanks for the replys, im trying to use manual more often as well to learn all my features on my camera. And i also have the same problem with my camera, it seems to think i need a flash for everything! Guess thats a good enough reason to force me to use manual modes more often!

I am not a pro. But I usually use Aperture Priority mode or Manual mode. Manual mode for sure if external flash(es) is/are used.

This is one of the reasons i like my Olympus. i'm not sure if other cameras do this too, but i can adjust aperture, shutter, iso, af, and a pile of other things from the automatic. for just being a beginner, what i have been doing is letting the camera decide what settings are best for the "setting" that i am shooting, then i take a few different pictures to find out what looks best, all the while staying on automatic.

Mark

This is one of the reasons i like my Olympus. i'm not sure if other cameras do this too, but i can adjust aperture, shutter, iso, af, and a pile of other things from the automatic. for just being a beginner, what i have been doing is letting the camera decide what settings are best for the "setting" that i am shooting, then i take a few different pictures to find out what looks best, all the while staying on automatic.

Mark
Well if you can change everything in automatic on our cameras that's considered manual when you change everything.

I've experienced inconsistencies with my camera set at auto. A few images come out overexposed and would miss out on a great photo op. I'm experimenting with the other modes right now and really like manual. Unfortunately my camera doesn't have RAW, and TIFF is not a default format so I have to manually set that every time.

uh oh... this topic...

:popcorn:

I haven't turned the camera to any of the automodes in over a year except for a 'what can you get with auto mode' challenge. 80% full manual, the other 20% split between Av and Tv, but I shoot in manual most of the time because I'm using lots of external flash.

For what it's worth, I use all the modes. Very much depends on circumstances.

Taking pics of the kids playing around in every different kind of light you can imagine, but relatively short focal lengths? Program.

Taking pics of the kids playing soccer at longer focal lengths in bright sunlight? Shutter priority.

Taking pictures of things a bit more artistic in fairly consistent or decent light relatively close up? Aperature priority.

Taking pictures of buildings for real estate, or anything artistic when I have time to setup and not worry about the subject moving around on me? Manual.

Use what works for the situation.

Your camera is a tool with a variety of settings. Each setting has a useful purpose. Learn them and understand them so you can use them when they are most appropriate.

That's why my sig says...

Program, Aperture, Shutter when the situation calls for it. I never waste time in manual.

^^^ oh, see, now there is the first shot across the bow. That very comment is going to make this thread spiral into the depths.

:popcorn:

There's also 'A-DEP' mode, of course, for Canon DSLR users!
'Automatic Depth of Field'

Av or M, 99% of the time. Av more than M, probably 70/30.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back