What's new

Automotive Photo Content Inside for CC

Nick.SHI

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Salt Lake City
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this in the intro forum and didn't get much attention. I work at an exotic car dealer in Salt Lake City and I photograph all of our events, a salesman handles most of the other photography, but I get the fun stuff. My photo skills are basic, and so I'm going to be posting fairly often so I can sharpen my skills. My strengths in photography definitely lie elsewhere. Here are a few I took last weekend:









 
Welcome! One of the other mods will be along shortly to move this to the General Forum since I can't access that menu from work. Automotive photography is a VERY challenging discipline; far more so than most people realize. You're off to a good start, and I would say that your'e in a great position to get really good at this. For future reference, it helps greatly if you number your images, and limit your posts to a maximum of for per thread.

C&C per req:

1. The location is great, but I'm not sure that this composition is really optimal. I can't check EXIF data right now, but I'm assuming you shot with a small aperture, wide lens and/or small-sensored camera based on the DoF. In order to make the cars more the focus of the scene, use a long lens and/or larger aperture to render the background unfocused.

2. Better composition, but distracting background. The eye is attracted to light, and the hills in the background cause a "fight" for attention with the cars. Try for relatively even, homogenous backgrounds to avoid distraction. This is a case where at least a reflector, or better yet, a couple of strobes would have helped greatly to eliminate the deep shadow around the wheels of the yellow car nd grill of the white. Again, too much DoF.

3. Good rear 3/4 view, but the unfocused flowers in the foreground kill it for me. As per #2, additional light was needed around the wheels and under the rear bumper here. Also avoid (when possible) split foregrounds like the concrete and grass. They eye naturally follows lines; in this case right out of the frame.

4. Good idea, nice background ('though I would have tried to have a better arrangement of golf carts) and ideal DoF. Again, reflectors were needed to bring more illumination down onto the tire areas of both cars, and I think that moving forward slightly to eliminate the dark area caused by the wiper recess on the foreground car would have helped.

5. Poor light, distracting background, and nasty reflections... pretty much all of the "wrongs" you could get in one shot! ;) First of all, you HAVE to get a polarizing filter to kill the reflections off of the windows, then find a better background (this one really is as about as bad as it can get) and then get some more light one the scene. Especially wheel areas and front clip.

Yes, I know there's a lot of seemingly negative points above, but really, these aren't too bad, I'm just nitpicky. If you're going to keep doing this, then you have to invest in a polarizing filter, a couple of big (as in 48x72) reflectors, a couple of big diffusers, and several strobes w/ remote triggers. First and foremost is the polarizer.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
 
Are you using a CPL filter? Circular PoLarizing

The lighting in these is harsh because they were made mid day judging from the position of the shadows.

I also see some vignetting and under exposure too.
 
Thanks for the feedback! It's definitely appreciated. The lens was stock that came on the camera, so I'll have to take a look and find a longer lens, good advice. I had a polarizing filter on the camera, I'll have to keep messing with it. I agree with the reflectors, I need to see where I can buy a couple. Also, I have a few different types of flashes, but they weren't up there with me.

As far as location, we sponsored a tournament at this country club and it was either here (the driving range) or in the parking lot...I do some work in our showroom which is ideal for simple backgrounds (it's all white) so there will be more photos in the near future.

Thank you again for the advice!
 
They don't seem to be focused very well, quite a bit of lighting issues as well. If these are meant to be promo shots they really fall flat. You need to add igniting beyond the natural light your shooting in. The dealer should be able to help you pay for that if you don't have lights. The lights and focusing better should help with the other issue which is noise.
 
John,

Any recommendation as to a good place to buy some very large reflectors? Looks like my local store only stocks reflective umbrellas, and I assume you mean the very large, flat-type.
 
They don't seem to be focused very well, quite a bit of lighting issues as well. If these are meant to be promo shots they really fall flat. You need to add igniting beyond the natural light your shooting in. The dealer should be able to help you pay for that if you don't have lights. The lights and focusing better should help with the other issue which is noise.

They are not promo shots, just a few photos from an event we sponsored. They will be going on our Facebook, things like that.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom