First time engagement photos/CC

kalgra

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I made my first attempt at doing some couples/engagements photos for a coworker. This is not something I have done before and couples photography in general is something I have very little experience with but as I am being asked to do it more and more so I am trying to improve my skills in this area. I do find it to be something I enjoy doing.

I definitely know I need to work on my posing and just getting better overall with directing my subjects. All that said here is a handful of some of my favorites. I tried some "creative" color editing on the last one. Although Im not really sure how I feel about it. Sometime I like it sometimes I don't, but I definitely feel it could have been done better.

I also realize some of these are very cliche but hey thats where I start and shape my own style over time.

CC welcome.

1)
table1-web-1600px by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

2)
street1-web-1600px by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

3)
train1-web-1600px by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

4)
walking1.2-web-1600px by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Just blurring the background isn't enough; if you're out shooting in the real world figure out ahead of time where to take photos and how the backgrounds will look before you put people in the shots.

In the first one that gray metal? tray/table thing is in the way, and it probably would've been better to not have her leg crossed and chopped off. I like the second one, but watch the timing and wait til that car is out of the scene, and there's a shadow to the right that could've been kept out of the picture if the framing was different. Not sure if I like them against that railing, but there's an orange blob over her head (again, out of focus doesn't get rid of bright objects it just turns them into bright blobs or shapes). In the 4th one I think the background to the left works, but on both sides there's some slanting and with vertical lines of buildings etc. it's noticeable (to me anyway).

If the couple thinks they look nice, which they do, they'll probably like the photos. I think you have a ways to go to bring up your skill level to doing professional work. Looks like you could get there with it, I'd sure scout out locations and take test shots til you get to the point that you know how to adjust the subjects related to the perspective, etc. when you get out somewhere with clients.

In addition to the points that (the other) Sharon noted, the one thing that strikes me is that you have centered, or nearly centered the couple in all of the images. Generally, it's considered better, from a compositional stand-point to have the main subject at least slightly off center. That said, I think you've done a decent job of producing artistic city shots.

Reactions: D7K

Most reactions

New Topics

Back