Available light portrait session: Carol

The first one is my favorite. The others are good, but the first one is the best.

I like all three of these. The third one is my favorite, but I like girls in glasses.

All I can say is that she is very beautiful.

first one is just horrible. The picture is okay, the pose for her aint working. The smile and angle makes her look gawky and the nose pronounces out. Angled from the side like that with the teeth exposed she could be mistaken for a human piranha. The cheek bones don't fly in the first picture. The hair hanging down looks like it is a weight draggin her head down, and her head is disproportionate to her body partly because of the hair. The Third one, clarity is good. Picture really good. But the glasses school teacher type thing is so over done I wouldn't give it much credence.
Also she keeps a arm over the midsection in the last too. She covering a belly? YOu can shoot around that, the arm covering don't fly too well though its too obvious. The second photo, while the worst of the bunch actually has the most potential. That is a incredible base to start with. The twirling the fingers doubles with chewing bubble gum look for the cheerleader thing. OR It can also fly for the seductive approach on a much deeper level. The second picture, I would do that again. And start from that point as it offers the most options and you have a incredible model to work with provided you avoid what you did in that first picture. Accentuate the positives, not her negatives.

first one is just horrible. The picture is okay, the pose for her aint working. The smile and angle makes her look gawky and the nose pronounces out. Angled from the side like that with the teeth exposed she could be mistaken for a human piranha. The cheek bones don't fly in the first picture. The hair hanging down looks like it is a weight draggin her head down, and her head is disproportionate to her body partly because of the hair. The Third one, clarity is good. Picture really good. But the glasses school teacher type thing is so over done I wouldn't give it much credence.
Also she keeps a arm over the midsection in the last too. She covering a belly? YOu can shoot around that, the arm covering don't fly too well though its too obvious. The second photo, while the worst of the bunch actually has the most potential. That is a incredible base to start with. The twirling the fingers doubles with chewing bubble gum look for the cheerleader thing. OR It can also fly for the seductive approach on a much deeper level. The second picture, I would do that again. And start from that point as it offers the most options and you have a incredible model to work with provided you avoid what you did in that first picture. Accentuate the positives, not her negatives.

I doubt anyone would mistake this woman for a human piranha. Needless to say, I don't agree with a single piece of your critique.

The arm over the stomach thing is just the pose for two of the images I've selected. It's not attempting to cover anything.

Carol #3 by davidgevert, on Flickr

I doubt anyone would mistake this woman for a human piranha. Needless to say, I don't agree with a single piece of your critique.

The arm over the stomach thing is just the pose for two of the images I've selected. It's not attempting to cover anything.

Carol #3 by davidgevert, on Flickr

I mentioned the arm because one girl I shot once had a little belly. I used the arm to cover it. But noticed later it was kind of a b.s. way to do it and it really took from my shots. I wanted to shoot her though because the eyes on this young woman were to die for (not to mention another of her attributes). Mostly the eyes though. She had that look that was extremely camera friendly. Little later I photographed another young woman which was absolutely gorgeous, but had a serious flaw. She had previously had a child and had stretch marks. Not bad, but enough it brought back the experience I had before. So avoided the arm and learned to adapt without making it obvious. Only reason I brought it up. Women are also paranoid to a extent about the midsection. Even if they have a little miniscule babyfat it seems one of the first things they naturally cover with the arm when they first get in front of the lens.

#1- excellent shot! pose is great, technical's are great, expression is great! Hair is fantastic!
#2- Im not personally a fan of the "washed out" look, but the pose and expression are fantastic.
#3- another excellent shot! pose is great, expression is great, and i love her hand tipping the glasses.

well done all around D!

I like #1.

I would like #2 - if only the background had the haze, and a bit of exposure were added to her.

#3. For me the light is to flat, and is a good illustration for how available light can fail to have sufficient quality to be used for a portrait.
Plus- I had my fill of seeing people posed leaning against a brink wall about 10 years ago.

Well, normally I'm a big fan of rim and cross lighting, but I was in Mississippi for a military training class (two weeks) so I was traveling light and not looking to use off-camera lighting.

This photoshoot's purpose was to expand my portfolio a bit and fill it out with some less "sexy" or sexualized shots, so if some of the shots are a bit cliché, that's OK this time around.

Well, normally I'm a big fan of rim and cross lighting, but I was in Mississippi for a military training class (two weeks) so I was traveling light and not looking to use off-camera lighting.

This photoshoot's purpose was to expand my portfolio a bit and fill it out with some less "sexy" or sexualized shots, so if some of the shots are a bit cliché, that's OK this time around.
Keesler afb?
good times (not really)

Most reactions

Back