Avoid Getting Scammed?

Smitzel269

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On my local craigslist, I found a Canon Rebel t3i for only $430, which is of course a great deal. In the ad, they say that it's brand new and has only been opened to see if everything works. If it's still available, I will go to look at it. I'm new to DSLR cameras, so I was wondering if there's a check list to make sure everything is working right. I don't want to sit there for an hour just playing with it. I know that I should make sure it turns on and takes pictures and all of the buttons work, but what else? Too bad you can't trust anybody these days :/ Thanks.

well, did you reply back? send a reply and see what the seller says. I bet he will ask you to send money oversea trough some fishy bank. dont fall into that.

Oh no... I won't be doing anything unless it's in person. I noticed it was fishy also, which is why I want a checklist.

I haven't bought anything on craigslist, but I sold my D5000 on craigslist. I took my laptop and let the buyer take 20-30 pictures with both lenses, downloaded them right there and let him look at the results. That's how it should be done. Money shouldn't change hands unless you are 110% satisfied and comfortable.

Sounds like a scam, no way it's $430 for a brand new t3i. I've been buying and selling on craigslist for years and never had a problem. Always meet in public, the buyer or seller would usually would suggest it. If they don't, it's a bit fishy. Before I recommend meeting anywhere, usually they would pick a public place before I can say anything. Make sure, product in hand or money in hand at the same time as the exchange. No hold on, let me get money in the car and they're holding your stuff. They can just lock the door and drive off with it.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. It was a scam.

he will probably say he is in London right now for work... blah blah blah

That is a SCAM. And it has been going on and off for couple months now. If you search the entire craigslist site, you often find the same adv posted in multiple cities or sometimes, he/she post slightly different version in different cities. And they all claim brand new T3i in the box (with box photos) and selling it for $430 or something similar. Sometimes, even claimed to have bestbuy receipt.

People here in St. Louis flag it off the site very soon.

My advise is to not buy a used camera (and by used I mean buying from anyone except a reputable retail store) until you know exactly what to look for. There are far to many problems the camera could have from abuse or just being used or cleaned the wrong way. DSLR's are very expensive, and my personal opinion is you should just get the cheapest DSLR you can to start out with and invest the rest of your money into good lenses. Buying lenses used is a little safer as long as you know how to test the min and max aperature, manual and auto focusing, and know where to look for scratches, dents and fungus.

I've bought and sold stuff on Craigslist without issues... just make sure you're not sending money through a third party and honestly its best you meet in person in a public place.

Often I see adds like these which get flagged instantly... once I actually replied and had the sender say he was in a diff town and when I mentioned that I could meet him there due to a meeting which I had in Toronto (I'm from Vancouver), the guy went cold...

If its legit, the seller will have no problem meeting you anywhere in the city and a lot more description and pictures will be added to the post, but when the add sais "Eos rebel 18Mp T3i Brand-new - Unwrapped simply to inspect that everything powers on perfectly" only then its a scam...

Who buys a DSLR to "unwrap" to inspect that everything is working???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back