Avoid uv filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justman1020

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know so many people say oh uv filters are great. Others say they are pointless. I tend to swing toward the whole "don't use them" concept. Now I have photo evidence as to why not to use them. A friend called me up, said he had his camera on a (cheap) tripod and the camera fell. The result was....well see for yourself.
After about 20-30 minutes i managed to get the uv filter off for him by prying at it with a small screw driver.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 155
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 150
a screwdriver? did you try grabbing the filters flange with a pair of pliers?
lens hood FTW!

After messing with it for like half hr I just got to the point where I said screw it. I took a mini screw driver and literally pryed it off. It wasn't coming off any other way. The lens still works (lucky him) he is actually a member on here now. Haha he learned his lesson.

This looks to me like the UV filter might have actually saved the lens. Had it fallen on the ground with no protection, it could have really screwed things up, or broken/scratched the front element. But since it still functions...

Yes.. big, bulky wonderful plastic lens hood.. much more protection! He is lucky the glass from the filter didn't scratch up the objective lens...

um, yeah. I don't use them either, but I will still say...

Cheap tripod
Screwdriver

two things there that had a greater impact of this than your 'evidence'.

I get them off that are stuck for customers all the time...without a screwdriver and damaging things.

In worst case scenario, we have used snips and snipped edge rim of filter and peeled like a can opener, then unscrewed leftover bits. All the while never damaging lens or lens components.

You are the cause of the damage to the lens scarring...not the filter.

Sorry dude, just keepin' it real.

I didnt scratch his lens. Neither did the filter (fortunately, luckily) and when using the screw driver to remove the filter i was extremely careful with it as to not scratch it. I also had NOTHING to do with him mounting HIS camera on a cheap tripod. It wasn't me who dropped the camera. But thanks for your useless input. Come again soon.

I didnt scratch his lens. Neither did the filter (fortunately, luckily) and when using the screw driver to remove the filter i was extremely careful with it as to not scratch it. I also had NOTHING to do with him mounting HIS camera on a cheap tripod. It wasn't me who dropped the camera. But thanks for your useless input. Come again soon.

My input was far from useless, you just took it as such because I pointed out that you damaged it. Sorry you're butthurt about it.

by lens I meant the thing as a whole...not the glass. All of those marks around the lip aren't from your screwdriver endeavor? Highly doubt it.

I simply meant you un needlessly scarred up the casing where you screw in filters. So get upset you like and reply like a child, it's ok, I'm simply stating the truth and allowing others to read that 1. your evidence, as you put it, is flawed in regards to your conclusion and 2, you can take off stuck/broken filters without harming any part of the lens (as a whole).

So thank you for your post and you sir, have a great day. :)

My input was far from useless, you just took it as such because I pointed out that you damaged it. Sorry you're butthurt about it.

by lens I meant the thing as a whole...not the glass. All of those marks around the lip aren't from your screwdriver endeavor? Highly doubt it.

I simply meant you un needlessly scarred up the casing where you screw in filters. So get upset you like and reply like a child, it's ok, I'm simply stating the truth and allowing others to read that 1. your evidence, as you put it, is flawed in regards to your conclusion and 2, you can take off stuck/broken filters without harming any part of the lens (as a whole).

For someone who does this all the time (removes stuck filters for customers), it's interesting that you apparently don't recognize that all those damage marks are on the broken filter itself, probably caused by the fall, rather than on the actual lens itself.

Well I don't know why people use them anyways. I guess they can protect in a way if not affecting IQ. Weren't UV filters made for film cameras when UV light washed out the saturation? Sensors now have that coating in the front that does it for them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But anyways I would say that putting a heavy camera on a cheap tripod is the users error in judgment. I learned my lesson when my D7000 fell over on a Vivitar tripod. Nope never again. The camera with the grip was too heavy and it fell over. Spend money on quality items and these things wouldn't happen.

And as for the OP getting a attitude like is just wrong. Don't take everything the wrong way or this forum will eat you alive. Wait until you get your photos C&C and you'll see.

-Hunt

For someone who does this all the time (removes stuck filters for customers), it's interesting that you apparently don't recognize that all those damage marks are on the broken filter itself, probably caused by the fall, rather than on the actual lens itself.

I guess it's necessary to try to discredit someone when replying with an opinion.

So you think that there is not a single scuff is from the prying from the screwdriver. Interesting take.

and yes, I recognize that as the ring without the glass, I was mostly going on the statement he made "after prying for 20 minutes with a screwdriver I finally got it off" I assumed there was damage...maybe not a correct assumption...but I'm sure there is from the prying with a screwdriver. Prying with a screwdriver is just always a bad idea on anything and nearly impossible to do without scarrring.

This looks to me like the UV filter might have actually saved the lens. Had it fallen on the ground with no protection, it could have really screwed things up, or broken/scratched the front element. But since it still functions...
You have no information that supports your supposition relative to this specific incident. It's totally speculative.

Could TPF maybe add a team designation to the profiles, so we could figure out who's in what clique more easily? I can't keep track of who hates who.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back