Avoid uv filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could TPF maybe add a team designation to the profiles, so we could figure out who's in what clique more easily? I can't keep track of who hates who.

I wanna be on Team Rocket!
Blasting off at the speed of light!

Could TPF maybe add a team designation to the profiles, so we could figure out who's in what clique more easily? I can't keep track of who hates who.

Sometimes your posts annoy me..this one I love.

Nice.

My input was far from useless, you just took it as such because I pointed out that you damaged it. Sorry you're butthurt about it.

by lens I meant the thing as a whole...not the glass. All of those marks around the lip aren't from your screwdriver endeavor? Highly doubt it.

I simply meant you un needlessly scarred up the casing where you screw in filters. So get upset you like and reply like a child, it's ok, I'm simply stating the truth and allowing others to read that 1. your evidence, as you put it, is flawed in regards to your conclusion and 2, you can take off stuck/broken filters without harming any part of the lens (as a whole).

So thank you for your post and you sir, have a great day. :)
For someone who does this all the time (removes stuck filters for customers), it's interesting that you apparently don't recognize that all those damage marks are on the broken filter itself, probably caused by the fall, rather than on the actual lens itself.

I guess it's necessary to try to discredit someone when replying with an opinion.

So you think that there is not a single scuff is from the prying from the screwdriver. Interesting take.

and yes, I recognize that as the ring without the glass, I was mostly going on the statement he made "after prying for 20 minutes with a screwdriver I finally got it off" I assumed there was damage...maybe not a correct assumption...but I'm sure there is from the prying with a screwdriver. Prying with a screwdriver is just always a bad idea on anything and nearly impossible to do without scarrring.
You can try to backpedal all you like, but your statement of accusation to the OP was based on the visual evidence of the photos showing how gouged and marked up the "lens" was by your own words. That visual evidence however does NOT show any marks on the lens itself, but to the filter alone.

You should apologize for your accusations, for your inability to recognize that you were looking at a filter instead of the lens itself, for acting like you're some kind of expert on the matter, rather than the poseur the actual photographic evidence points to and now for trying to backpedal instead of taking it like an adult that you've been busted.

I think the real lesson here is to NOT totally skimp on your tripod. Get a good one if you are going to put good equipment on it. And again.... Lens hood FTW! (thats what we use anyway) obviously, your results may vary.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Medics! NUMBER ONE! WHOOOOOOOO! :wav:

For someone who does this all the time (removes stuck filters for customers), it's interesting that you apparently don't recognize that all those damage marks are on the broken filter itself, probably caused by the fall, rather than on the actual lens itself.

I guess it's necessary to try to discredit someone when replying with an opinion.

So you think that there is not a single scuff is from the prying from the screwdriver. Interesting take.

and yes, I recognize that as the ring without the glass, I was mostly going on the statement he made "after prying for 20 minutes with a screwdriver I finally got it off" I assumed there was damage...maybe not a correct assumption...but I'm sure there is from the prying with a screwdriver. Prying with a screwdriver is just always a bad idea on anything and nearly impossible to do without scarrring.
You can try to backpedal all you like, but your statement of accusation to the OP was based on the visual evidence of the photos showing how gouged and marked up the "lens" was by your own words. That visual evidence however does NOT show any marks on the lens itself, but to the filter alone.

You should apologize for your accusations, for your inability to recognize that you were looking at a filter instead of the lens itself, for acting like you're some kind of expert on the matter, rather than the poseur the actual photographic evidence points to and now for trying to backpedal instead of taking it like an adult that you've been busted.

Welcome to ignore.

I will let you drag me into a useless online debate as you love to do, I suggest you find a hobby that does not include online bantering.

I stand my by assessment, no doubt in my mind he scarred up the lens with his screwdriver and the best way to remove them, is without the use of a screwdriver.

Have a great day Buck and enjoy your time here on TPF...as I know I will not having to see your words.

Welcome to ignore.
That's a good option for you, since you're demonstrating that you simply can't handle the truth - better that you not even see it.

I will let you drag me into a useless online debate as you love to do, I suggest you find a hobby that does not include online bantering.
That's good advice for you to take. You could start by owning up to your own failures in accusing folks out of the blue of things you have no evidence to support, and were not even in question, but that's just a suggestion. I'm pretty sure from your reactions so far that you won't take it, and that's fine too.

I stand my by assessment
Ahhh... Let's look at that actual assessment again:
All of those marks around the lip aren't from your screwdriver endeavor? Highly doubt it.

I simply meant you un needlessly scarred up the casing where you screw in filters.
"All of" WHAT "marks around the lip"? Oh, you obviously mean THE ONES IN THE PHOTOS that you say above "scarred up the casing where you screw in filters".

no doubt in my mind he scarred up the lens with his screwdriver and the best way to remove them, is without the use of a screwdriver.
Interesting... More backpedaling, when there's simply no evidence that shows it, nor even suggests it. Your ACTUAL words show that you were "assessing" what you saw in the photos. There's nothing in the photos to support your revised "assessment" that he actually scarred up ANYTHING on the ACTUAL lens.

Have a great day Buck and enjoy your time here on TPF...as I know I will not having to see your words.
Yes, cover your eyes and ears, so you don't actually have to deal with the embarrassment when people point out your inadequacies. That's a good strategy.

Last edited:
The use of UV or even clear filters is like a religious in today's digital age. But my take on this is if you have doubts on the value of a UV filter, I would suggest that you avoid the debate altogether and spare yourself all the trouble and the money. And if you have indeed purchased a UV filter, the mere fact that you purchased one shows you have indeed put a value on it (at least the for the purchase price). It is up to to assess for yourself if they are worth more than the acquisition price by trying it out. Just my two cents...:)

off topic, was at the local shop last weekend and brought a few lenses of my own to try on a few bodies i was looking at buying, salesman was appalled i didn't have a filter protecting my "Precious glass" that is my 24-70, his comments sparked the good ole debate on weather to filter or not, after failing to sell me an expensive uv filter he was pleased to sell me a d600. to each his own. i prefer to not put filters on unless its for a specific reason like a polarizer. however if one deems it necessary for his equipment then more power to him

I roll solo.

Not to side track us from picking sides and forming teams. But while it's a bummer that he dropped it and luckily he's not out any money, but isn't is an 18-55mm kit lens? Shouldn't we be debating that if he didn't have it on and it didn't work that he could get to upgrade to better glass?

(I fully realize that he may not want to upgrade or have the money to spend but it wouldn't have been all bad had it broken).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back