B&W Barn - Tonal Range?

rwebbart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just looking for comments on the overall tonal range. It was 11am and stormy, but I think it turned out.
hampton_cove_barn.jpg

beautiful, beautiful image....i'm a BARN girl..i spend my time shooting them and painting them...excellent shot, would love to paint that one...oh and yes, great tonal range!

emogirl said:
beautiful, beautiful image....i'm a BARN girl..i spend my time shooting them and painting them...excellent shot, would love to paint that one...oh and yes, great tonal range!

I am also a painter. The last gallery on my webpage
http://www.randywebb.net
is of my paintings.

good shot, i would like to see it in silver!

Randy I love this so much! Love how the window is falling apart and such, yey for details! :D This is really interesting, and in it's own way.. beautiful. D:

i strongly disagree, at most burn in some spots. no overall adjustment should be done here.

ITS GOOD.

Okay here it comes, I never, never look at histograms. At this point I know at least one and probably more are thinking, I've seen your shots and it shows. The thing is an image has a feel that has nothing to with perfection. I chose to go by that. Probably not very modern though. Alas I'm just old fashioned i guess.

mysteryscribe said:
Okay here it comes, I never, never look at histograms. At this point I know at least one and probably more are thinking, I've seen your shots and it shows. The thing is an image has a feel that has nothing to with perfection. I chose to go by that. Probably not very modern though. Alas I'm just old fashioned i guess.

I completely agree. In most cases, if you looked at a professional photographers photos, you could critique textbook stuff like that if you really broke it down. However with this photo, I feel just by looking at it, the photo is too gray. I know that it creates a feeling but you get more definition with more contrast and I just like the look of it.

personally im not keen on the edit as the highlights are starting to blow out, but contrast is one of those things which differ depending on taste. I also never use the contrast slider... as i find you can get all the contrast you need using levels and curves.
With the original... i think all i would do is move the midpoint slider a tad... and then burn in certain areas.... its a nicely taken shot tho :thumbup:

It's a tool. Nothing more. Someone can not use a lightmeter or a developer thermometer if that's what they want. A histogram can you give information that you may not pick up with your eye, like if something that is supposed to be black really isn't. I don't think it has anything to do with being "old fashioned". Look at the detailed preciseness of the Zone System.

I agree that contrast is a personal taste. rwebbart, do you mind if I post an edit to show what I was thinking?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back