B&W Challenge: Editing Special SEPIA

This seems more like a comparative study, but I find the ideas of manufacturers about what exactly is "sepia" very surprising!

The original black and white photo is an attempt to digitally imitate a pseudo-solarization. At the moment I'm busy transferring all the info from my old laptop to a new one and I met a number of (free) editing programs that I don't use that much anymore. I searched those programs for the "sepia button" and found most of them!

View attachment 198736
original B&W photo

View attachment 198737
I know several members (Mac users) on this forum use GIMP, a very good program but I just have too little patience to get the most out of it.

View attachment 198739
How about this: I've been using (free) XN View for 10 years as the 'standard' to open/view photos on my computer and have never known it's possible to use this program to give photos a sepia tone.

View attachment 198738
PhotoScape is a program I've been using for 12 years now, it is really an amazing (free) program you must download immediately, discover all the possibilities and I am sure you will never delete it again!

View attachment 198735
Not free, so exception, but for the finishing touch to my fisheye images of trees, I started to use Artweaver quite some time ago, a drawing program instead of a photo editing program.

Perhaps the weirdest camera I have, the Dover 620-A. Conversion, adjustments and tinting in Silver Efex.
Thought maybe this half pound of Baekelite would look better with a cool selenium tint.

066es.jpg

066ebws.jpg

066ebwst.jpg

.....my favorite shot from this photographic curiosity, and with a sepia tint warmup.

D620A1002es.jpg

D620A1002e ts.jpg

The Tea Party.

Three more, these are old photos. Thanks @gk fotografie for allowing old photos. Both follow similar styles as the previous photo I posted: processed in Snapseed and used color curves.

The first is a still life that I thought would look good with sepia toning. The second is a B&W that I converted some time ago, brought to life again now with new processing!

E84B3ADF-ABF3-4E4A-8FCE-FC973FBF63FB.jpeg

0ACF86D3-65AE-4FAC-BB4C-7FCE594D69E3.jpeg

The second of the stacks is one that I thought really popped with the processing.

52BB6390-1F35-4D23-8A10-53932831A205.jpeg

F05EEB01-D216-4142-9612-011B2CDCBD17.jpeg

The third is a crop where the people in the front really provide a good contrast to the foggy background. I also removed the post in Snapseed.

8712647B-0DD6-4E12-94C4-4BD5332D9810.jpeg

7BF82E9D-A4E2-4A1E-BE22-26069513B1B9.jpeg

In the film age I've printed tens of thousands of photos on Agfa Portriga Rapid B&W paper and long time I've searched for a shade for digital images that comes somewhat close to this formidable and never equaled photo paper, the results are going in the right direction, but it's not quite Portriga Rapid, yet. Combination of a "standard" black/white conversion via PaintNet and 2nd layer (value 125/255) in sepia tone.

View attachment 198860
View attachment 198859

Last edited:
I've just put away all my external hard drives on which I keep originals and backups, so all I have right now is the finished version of this.
I had converted the original color to b/w using a gradient map in Ps. The final version is available because it is already posted to Flickr.

Then I blended five (I think) layers of differing yellows, oranges, and red set to color blend mode and varying opacities to create a toning which wasn't available by just pushing a button. Because all these layers blend to create one tone, it's still technically a monochrome image.

Next week I'll come back to show the original color, the image with just the gradient map available, and the final version. I've put all the drives away as we've just learned our son is getting married this Saturday and She Who Must Be Obeyed needs me helping out and not being distracted.

autumn leaves

Oh, and I used luminosity masking and the Blend If dialog to limit how much the toning influenced the brightest pixels.

Used split toning in LR to add different shades of color to the highlights and shadows

sepia-1-2.jpg

And another subtle change if you can spot it

sepia-1.jpg

GIMP sepia toning (I just pushed the "sepia" button)
Actually this color reminds me very much of the sepia-effect of photos from the period 1910 - 1940 you see in museums, books and catalogs.
View attachment 198891
original

View attachment 198892

Last edited:
Following @johngpt I've taken a different path than the 'standard sepia conversion' and opened the red and yellow filter for 100%, in combination with the gray tones from the (converted) b&w photo this produces a special kind of sepia toning.
View attachment 198931
View attachment 198932
View attachment 198933
(detail from Padrăo dos descobrimentos, Lisbon, Portugal)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back