B&W Film Vs. Digital

Black and White in seperate forums

• Yes I would like to see the B&W forum in digital and film forums

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No, I would like to see (B&W) in one forum

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don't care, however, if you don't care, don't even see the point in voting. ha..ha..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I think people from outer space are trying to infiltrate my brain with alien voices

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to see who would like to have the B&W forum broke into 2 seperate parts. I for one would like to see it broken down into film/digital.
Many reasons why, but just to keep it short and sweet, and without argument or debate, how many people would like to see film B&W vs. Photo Shop, or digital B&W.

J.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I think that there is a significan difference in digital vs. film, when it comes to B&W...I saw a tag line somewhere that said something to the effect of " yes it's film, yes it's B&W, yes there is grain, so don't bother bringing it up"...I agree to a point. I've converted B&W to digital with the "one button push" of Photo Shop Elements and GIMP. Personally I can see more "life" in the B&W film, vs. a color picture turned into B&W, with an editing program.

I voted the way I did because it is easier to give technical advice on things like contrast (a very common problem it would seem) when the format can be discerned. If the purpose is simply to segregate based on aesthetic beliefs then I respectfully request to withdraw my participation in the poll - film v. digital is an effete argument that is better left dead...

- Randy

I voted the way I did because it is easier to give technical advice on things like contrast (a very common problem it would seem) when the format can be discerned. If the purpose is simply to segregate based on aesthetic beliefs then I respectfully request to withdraw my participation in the poll - film v. digital is an effete argument that is better left dead...

- Randy

I agree,

To tell you the truth, I find the premise laughable. There is absolutely no reason to break down the B&W forum into two seperate categories.

You may be right. My thinking is that a lot of film shooters are doing a lot of their PP in a darkroom, vs. shooting a picture in color, and converting into B&W through PS, Lightroom, GIMP, or whatever...

Not many people are participating in this poll, so it seems that your comment "absolutely no reason to break down the B&W....." appears to be the consensus, so far....

J.:mrgreen:.

The title of the thread is very likely not helping...

- Randy
That's o.k. Randy, I've really gotten more of a response than I thought.
The bottom line is, since I don't have any association with this forum, I couldn't change it anyway. Just wondered what other B&W film shooters would have to say. Thanks for your input.

what if i shoot B+W film and do my darkroom work on my mac? i gotta make my adjustments somehow! so much of how a picture is made is by post processing, film or digital. I vote no to separation. it would only inflict mass confusion.

Yers, two separate forums but...

I think the B&W film forum should be combined with the darkroom forum. They are really one topic from a technique standpoint. Digital is quite different.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back