B&W Processing

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two images here that I'd like some FB on as I'm want to improve my B&W processing. I did ad the first image on another thread and after I made alterations I thought the same people would give some feedback but they didn't so I started a new thread.

My impression was that the foreground in the second image is to bright but I don't know.

In colour the tractor is dark red, is there too much of a shine on the left hand side of the tractor

Also I would like to hear impressions of the image in general, as sometimes struggle with composition at the time of shooting.

View attachment 81562View attachment 81563

The second picture is almost there. Yes foreground needs a bit of burning. Maybe apply green filter to lighten up the plants. (I don't know, how it works in digital, but probably you can simulate use of green filter like on the panchromatic film where red and dark green are giving very similar values like here).

I find both images over-processed. The one on the left is too dark overall. The masking work on both is too obvious. The image on the right is too contrasty and starting to clip both ends.

Did you save these at very low quality JPEG setting? There's a lot of tone drop out and I'm not sure of the cause.

As for the composition I think you can lose some foreground, but I think it's a good image and interesting photo.

I noticed that you started the process with an NEF file. If you'd like to post it I'd be happy to have a look.

Joe

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at tutorials for the past few hours and whilst following with my own image but I still end up with things that look very similar to the above, probably because I'm at the limit of what I can currently do with PP. I'm sorry now that I dint take two shots originally in colour and b&w.

The last two where posted as low quality JPegs. I dont know how to post NEF files here
I wonder is the original underexposed or just lacks what is required for b&w and I'm going wrong @ square 1.

Attachments

• $_DSC0302.jpg
    $_DSC0302.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
The original is just fine. The NEF I'm sure is excellent. The low quality JPEG may be some of what I was seeing in the others you posted.

You can't post NEF files here but you can put them on a place like Dropbox.

Here's a version done from the JPEG you posted. With the NEF I could hold the shadows from blocking better. See what you think.

Joe

$tractor.jpg

Thanks Joe, I think I am falling into the noob trap of bringing things to the boil. What do you mean by " hold the shadows from blocking"

Thanks Joe, I think I am falling into the noob trap of bringing things to the boil. What do you mean by " hold the shadows from blocking"

Blocked shadows, sometimes called crushed shadows, are areas of solid black that would be better if slight detail was retained. Basically think of a photograph as information or data. Regardless of what recording media we use we're recording data. We have two threshold limits beyond which data is no longer recorded: black and white. Think in terms of your photo: If you failed to record the subtle texture of those clouds in the sky you'd have areas of solid white tone or clipped highlights. That's a failure to record data and that's generally bad.

On the other end is black in the shadows. We treat the black end a little differently than the white end. A good photo should reach black and small dispersed solid black (shadow up under a car's wheel well for example) is a good thing. There are always exceptions to rules but there are also rules. The "good photo reaches black" rule wouldn't apply for example in a color photo of just clouds in the sky or a trendy faddy fashion photo -- the sky photo could still be a good photo. So when we manage the black in our photo's shadows we want to work very carefully to both make sure that we get there and at the same time not allow a section of shadows to coalesce into a black hole. Black holes devour all surrounding matter. In your photo the shadows in the trees, especially the large shadow upper right, threaten to coalesce into black holes.

You can't do very well trying to pull back from a JPEG as it already has a restricted amount of data. The NEF file has much more data.

Joe

Most reactions

Back