B&W vs. Color?

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot a wedding over the weekend and am pretty happy with this shot. I like the B&W but my wife likes the color version better.

ISO 800, F/4, 1/4000

4814766434_c047da156c_b.jpg

4814765808_4613eb8471_b.jpg

Thanks for any and all advice!

Last edited:
Of course the first time I add noise I get docked for it lol.

Thanks for the comments!

I like grain in B&W pictures, personally. I often shoot Ilford 3200 film for that reason.

That being said, there's really not enough texturally or contrast-wise to the picture overall to make it an interesting B&W, which is why it looks better in color. The way the sunlight creates the dramatic lines in his suit is good, but the blob out-of-focus green turning into a mostly uniform sea of gray doesn't look as good as it does in full color. Just my opinion.

^ I agree. Although I don't care for the grain in this specific shot. It also makes it harder to tell that its a golf course since all the green is gone ( Not that you are really trying to emphasize this, but you may be who knows ).

Not a fan of the noise, and the B&W doesn't do much for me. On the other hand though, I think the noise might work, and might make an interesting shot if it was done in sepia.

Did you add the noise in the black and white? Why were you shooting at ISO 800?

Indeedies
What mood are you trying to convey with this photo?

I like the black and white one better. I like the hint of noise to makes it seem little bit old

Either one works. I like the noise in the bw, although I might have introduced a little less. My one objection is the right side of his head, his neck and part of his right hand/cuff look burned out in the bw.

I find the color image more eye-catching. The image relies upon the s-shaped curve of light and shadow on the back of a black jacket. The green expanse of grass balances this. The green gives the image warmth and life. The color also has some beautiful warm tones on the hair and the right ear.

Noise and grain are drastically different from each other. Noise tends to be more irritating to the eye while grain tends to be much more pleasing, the big offender is how the noise is applied in this case.

The add noise function in photoshop has a very secretive use that many people misinterpret. When you are compositing several images together it is not uncommon that one will have different or more noise than others. The add noise option comes into play here. You are supposed to get rid of all the noise possible, composite the images together into one image, than apply noise so that all the images look like they belong together.

Long story short- Add noise isn't really meant for B&W's in photoshop. Try finding an addon to get grain instead.

TiCoyote's comments are spot on. I will add that I prefer the slightly wider crop of the B&W photo, which shows the rock he is standing on and a tiny bit of grass at the bottom of the frame, and even though it's small, that bit of unmowed grass really says "rough", and the slightly bigger rock gives the boy more of an anchor on which to stand. I vastly prefer the color version of this photo...the ear being hit by sun is an important factor in showing the lighting. I think the color shot could be massaged a bit more, to emphasize the light coming in so strongly from that one side.

Love the light on his suit.

I'd stick with the color version and crop the left side just past that orange thing on the bottom.

To be honest, neither one does much for me. If you hadn't said it was a wedding I would have wondered what this kid was doing on a golf course in a suit. Part of the problem may be that I couldn't care less about golf. As my wife often says: "men and their balls..." :lmao:

But to be more serious, people don't see in B&W and it takes some training to enjoy it when it is not expected. It is still expected in newspapers but not really at weddings so, most people don't get or like B&W unless it is very artsy.

Most reactions

Back