What's new

Back from another climbing trip. C&C please

nickb98c

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
Evansville
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Back from a spring break trip to the local crag. Jackson Falls IL. Here are a few of my favorite shots of the day. It would be great to get any feedback for improving composition or better coloring. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

1
IMG_1742-1.jpg



2
IMG_1552-1.jpg


3
IMG_1544.jpg



4
IMG_1389-1.jpg


5
IMG_1314-1.jpg




I have just recently gotten serious about photography. My set up is a Canon XS, standard 18-75 lens, assortment of filters(ND4, CPL). I have been reading as many photography books I can get my hands on, so its a slow learning progress.



Thanks in advance
Nick
 
Last edited:
You're not getting any responses because you put up WAY to many images.

I didn't wait for all of them to load either.
 
ok thanks for the tip.
 
I think 1 and 3 are pretty good.

#2 - the focus is on the rock instead of the climber, DOH! If he were looking at the camera, more in focus and perhaps higher in the frame this would have been really great I think.

#4 - maybe too far back, want to see faces. On the other hand it shows the scale of the wall, etc - but in any event the gear strewn across the ground is distracting (especially the tripod, hehe)

#5 - not bad, maybe a bit overexposed but it shows the climbers skill and severe angle of the wall.

Looks like fun out there though.
 
Thanks for the tips. I havent gotten a whole lot of help. I appreciate it!
 
I think #1 is ok, maybe focus on his face a little better. I like the angle though. I agree with reznap on #2, On #3 the shadows on the guys face i think make his face look funny. The highlights are in the shape of a T and it is just messin with me. #4 i also agree with reznap. get closer and maybe lower so the viewpoint is looking up. move the excess gear. I think if you zoomed in and got lower and got the overhang out of the shot it would kinda make me wonder how tall that cliff was. I like #5, for both #4 and #5 though it seems like you are just standing there. Try it from a different viewpoint. Sit on the ground or lay down. One of the things i have read in the books is that a big mistake with newbys is that they stand in one place. Move around stand on a ladder or lay on the ground to get different perspectives.
 
nice lines, im waiting for it to thaw out here a little bit more before i climb longs peak. whats the route in #5 rated? looks fun
 
Thanks for the help. The route in #5 is a 5.10d. its a good run. One problem I have had is when you try to get the exposure right on over hangs and similar cliffs, if you get sky in the back ground, it looks really over exposed. Unless I had a custom graduated filter for every shot, Im not sure how to work around this bleach out of the sky.
 
maybe bounce a flash up from under the overhang, carefull to not get a bad shadow of the climber, which could also look quite cool depending on the shot, with climbing season comeing up out here i should have quite a few, plus some from the summit of longs peak homefully
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom