Back to the Lightbox.. C&C

Chriss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since its a rainy and cold day, I decided to build another lightbox and shoot some more with that.. Heres one I took of a wine bottle and glass (I realize its very cliche). I'd just like your guys thoughts on it and lighting advice. This was lit from both sides and over top. Thoughts?

IMG_8793.jpg

Exif Data:
Focal Length - 250mm
Shutter Speed - 1/250 f/5.6
No Flash
Rebel XSi

Thanks guys.

Nothing? Hm. I kind of liked it.

Vertical subjects prove better suited to vertical orientation. Plus you have an ever so slight tilt CCW.

The reflection above the label is a bit annoying.

Unless it is outstanding, you are correct..... very cliché.

The lighting is nice, you did well to keep your light source soft, good job.

I would turn the label towards the camera a little more and if you really want to make that wine come alive use a small light source to shine a bit of light into the glass from behind .

Overall quite good, thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I took what you said and shot a new one, where I took a step back and included the whole bottle. I eliminated the annoying reflection, shot vertical, and twisted the label towards the camera a little more. I couldn't figure out how to get a light source behind the wine glass (which probably sounds a little dumb). I'm using a makeshift lightbox and don't have much room to work with, so I couldn't find a way to get a light source behind the glass of wine without it showing up in the picture. Suggestions? Anyway, here it is.

IMG_8938.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to get a light source behind the wine glass (which probably sounds a little dumb).

it's not a lightbox if you don't have light coming simultaneously from all directions, that's what make a lightbox a lightbox

be it through a light source or internal reflections

I couldn't figure out how to get a light source behind the wine glass (which probably sounds a little dumb).

it's not a lightbox if you don't have light coming simultaneously from all directions, that's what make a lightbox a lightbox

be it through a light source or internal reflections

I have it coming from front, top, left side, right side, but I can't really put it in back because of the poster board I'm using as my background. Putting a light behind the poster board wouldn't really do anything would it?

Sorry I don't have any useful input and should probably keep my trap shut, but I don't know any better. I just started practicing with product photography and so far its been a bust, but tonight I plan on trying to build a "lightbox". If true that a lightbox has light coming from every single side, then I, too, am interested in knowing the proper construction of one...I will look forward to some interesting insights...I like what you're doing with that wine bottle, but IMO, it does seem underexposed...keep shooting

I saw the underexposure to. Meh, I'm just gonna let go of that shot :p. Good luck with your lightbox, I've found it to be a lot of fun.

Oh I bet, I leave work in 15 minutes and I'm so excited about getting home to try it, my palms are getting sweaty...

If true that a lightbox has light coming from every single side, then I, too, am interested in knowing the proper construction of one...I will look forward to some interesting insights...
The $10 DIY Strobist approach.......

Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

I've made a few of these but they did not serve my purpose because I have a friend / client that I needed to travel to her pottery studio for shots. The DIY did not travel well. I finally went with a light tent from Alzo Digital. Here's my setup. I have also supported the tent on a piece of glass to light from below.

If true that a lightbox has light coming from every single side, then I, too, am interested in knowing the proper construction of one...I will look forward to some interesting insights...
The $10 DIY Strobist approach.......

Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

I've made a few of these but they did not serve my purpose because I have a friend / client that I needed to travel to her pottery studio for shots. The DIY did not travel well. I finally went with a light tent from Alzo Digital. Here's my setup. I have also supported the tent on a piece of glass to light from below.

Right, and this is basically the model that I am using, but he was referring to lighting from the back of the box. I don't see how I could get that to work. If I put something in the box, it'll show up on the photo, and if I cut away the back of the box to put the light source in, it'll mess up the photo. (By the way, thank you for the glass suggestion, I never thought of that)

Right, and this is basically the model that I am using, but he was referring to lighting from the back of the box. I don't see how I could get that to work. If I put something in the box, it'll show up on the photo, and if I cut away the back of the box to put the light source in, it'll mess up the photo. (By the way, thank you for the glass suggestion, I never thought of that)
Become one with the term "Family of Angles". You don't have to place a light source behind the subject. Use your poster board to bounce the light back on to the subject.

One of the best resources that I have found for photographic lighting is Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back