Was at a car meet last night.

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at my local car meet and was trying to do some coverage. I saw other photographers there which were Canon head I was wondering with my Nikon. They were shooting with no flash and I had to use my flash because my picture would come out dark. What setting should I have my Nikon D200 on for me to shoot at night with no flash. The meet was in a parking lot and I saw others picture and they came out nicer, then the one with my flash.

notching up the iso, going with a slower shutter speed and having a larger aperature lens are only thing i could think about. what setting depends on how dark it is. hard to throw numbers out there. throw up one of your pics with your settings to see how you were shooting

were they using a tripod? really the only way to take night photography without flash is long exposure.

I would have just used my flash... forget about what others are doing.

p!nk

I was at my local car meet and was trying to do some coverage. I saw other photographers there which were Canon head I was wondering with my Nikon. They were shooting with no flash and I had to use my flash because my picture would come out dark. What setting should I have my Nikon D200 on for me to shoot at night with no flash. The meet was in a parking lot and I saw others picture and they came out nicer, then the one with my flash.

First real question, do you know about ISO, aperture, and shutter speed?

were they using a tripod? really the only way to take night photography without flash is long exposure.

p!nk

Definitely not true. Wide aperture and high ISO can get you shooting hand held at night.

Lighting cars with strobes is hard enough to get right, trying to do so with the on camera flash will give you results that are more than less than desirable.

First real question, do you know about ISO, aperture, and shutter speed?

Yeah, we need to know how much you know before we can help. Also posting a photo from the night, with your settings would help us to help you.

p!nk

Definitely not true. Wide aperture and high ISO can get you shooting hand held at night.

Lighting cars with strobes is hard enough to get right, trying to do so with the on camera flash will give you results that are more than less than desirable.

I figured he would use his SB-600. :er:

Also, why not use a tripod? The cars are not go anywhere.

p!nK

p!nk

p!nK

Even then, unless they're using off camera flash it's not going to look very good.

And it's fine to use a tripod, but saying it's the only way to shoot at night is misleading.

p!nK

Even then, unless they're using off camera flash it's not going to look very good.

And it's fine to use a tripod, but saying it's the only way to shoot at night is misleading.

D200's have CLS.

p!nK

Coverage? For what?

Pick a handful of the nicer cars, talk to the owners, and set up a series of shoots at a decent location. Not while cars are parked right next to each other reflecting in each others side panels and windows.

That way the photographer controls how the car is situated relative to the available light, or even better, in a studio or warehouse where the photographer has complete control of the light, background and usable camera angles.

p!nK

D200's have CLS.

p!nK

Right.

OP - Were you using CLS and shooting with your speedlight off camera?

My guess is no.

D200's have CLS.

p!nK

Right.

My guess is no.

OP- Did you have the option of using CLS with your speedlight off camera?

The answer is yes. ;)

p!nK

D200's have CLS.

p!nK

Right.

My guess is no.

OP- Did you have the option of using CLS with your speedlight off camera?

The answer is yes. ;)

p!nK

And that's not necessarily going to be enough. One bare speedlight off camera will not properly light a car, especially if the person doesn't know how to light cars.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back