Back-up Camera

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive got a Nikon D90 and love it, but I have had several people ask me to do their weddings and I wouldnt feel comfortable without a back up. I cant afford another D90 and was wondering if a D3000 would be a decent back up, Im not a pro and Im not charging much to do the weddings but I would just feel better if I had another option if something were to happen.

I'd opt for the D5000 for a backup to the D90 if I were you, much better low light performance.

I personally, from a handling speed perspective would pass on a D5000. Its only got one dial and requires menu usage for a lot of things. Also, I don't think the batteries are the same as the D90. I would see if I could find a D80 for reasonably cheap. Same batteries as the D90, pretty similar in handling, and cheaper than a new D5000.

I agree with getting a D80, the fact that they're using the same batteries are important because you might run out of battery on the D90 and having an extra batteries could be useful. I wouldn't get the D3000 just because it's not really a good value for you what you can get, the D80 body is a better choice in my opinion.

I'd say the D90 is barely adequet for shooting weddings.

I'd recommend shooting a wedding or 2 without a backup till you can afford to buy a second D90.

It's a gamble, no doubt, but not a big gamble and makes more sense than spending now for a marginal backup camera that you'll replace sooner, rather than later.

The AF processor.
Only 1 cross type focus point out of 11.
The 96%, 0.94 magnification pentamirror viewfinder.
Cannot change the focusing screen.
SD memory card, only 1 card and not UDMA compliant.
Compressed RAW.

Alright KmH, I'll bite.

Care to elaborate on the focusing screen bit?

Compressed raw...meh.

sd memory card, only one card. My D300 only has one card slot, does that mean it's inadequate as well? (better not tell all of my previous clients)

not UDMA compliant, so he just has to time his shots well.

The 96%, 0.94 magnification pentamirror viewfinder. ok, so its not 100%, Big deal.

The AF processor.
Only 1 cross type focus point out of 11.
The 96%, 0.94 magnification pentamirror viewfinder.
Cannot change the focusing screen.
SD memory card, only 1 card and not UDMA compliant.
Compressed RAW.

I really don't see how any of this effects wedding photography, football maybe. But whatever, different thread I suppose. :confused:

Alright KmH, I'll bite.

Care to elaborate on the focusing screen bit?

Compressed raw...meh.

sd memory card, only one card. My D300 only has one card slot, does that mean it's inadequate as well? (better not tell all of my previous clients)

not UDMA compliant, so he just has to time his shots well.

The 96%, 0.94 magnification pentamirror viewfinder. ok, so its not 100%, Big deal.
Nikon listens to it's pro photographers and the D300 now has two card slots. Pity the second slot is only SD but it's still a big improvement.

If you want to use manual focus in the dim light of some churches, replacing the stock focusing screen can be a real benefit. In low light AF is not always reliable, even with a wide aperture.

Unfortunately it's not an option on the D90.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back