Back when I was a Long-haired Guitar-playing Hippie

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Woah! On my walk this afternoon I stumbled upon this is an alley. I used to drive one of those back when I was a long-haired guitar-playing hippie! Before you start laughing, gas was $0.39 a gallon and love was free.

Joe

beetle.jpg

Neat shot and car. Reminds of one I used to have - in days of old - only it was blue, but it did have a roof rack.

WesternGuy

You should talk to kids from the age of 14 and up.....love is free again!!

...... gas was $0.39 a gallon and love was free.
Yeah, and I can remember getting change back from a one dollar bill for a pack of smokes and a can of beer from your local, everyday "convenience" store. I drove a '68 Bug and a early 70s Fastback for a few years. One was totaled and the other just got tired and refused to run any longer.

I had one of these back when I was a long haired guitar playing hippie too! Mine was more of an orange, but mostly because the red paint had faded. I paid $100 bucks for it.

One fine sunny blue sky summer day, I was driving my bug down a straight clear road out in the country with no other vehicles to be seen when, suddenly, there was a loud "CLUNK" from behind me and the back end jumped up off the ground! I looked in the rear view mirror, and there was my battery in the middle of the road. The rust had eaten through the chassis under the back seat.

Man, I had some good times in that car!

My dad (who is still a long haired (in the back at least) hippie) tells me that back in the day when he was a teenager, he put a Porsche engine into a bug. Of course, it was too much power for that car and he crashed and wrecked his car and his back.

Not so far back when I was a teenager, my buddy had two of these...one with a working engine and one without...so we pulled the famous '4 bolt bug engine swap'.

...... gas was $0.39 a gallon and love was free.
Yeah, and I can remember getting change back from a one dollar bill for a pack of smokes and a can of beer from your local, everyday "convenience" store. I drove a '68 Bug and a early 70s Fastback for a few years. One was totaled and the other just got tired and refused to run any longer.
Yeah, but wasn't that before the earth had fully cooled?

I had one of these back when I was a long haired guitar playing hippie too! Mine was more of an orange, but mostly because the red paint had faded. I paid $100 bucks for it.

One fine sunny blue sky summer day, I was driving my bug down a straight clear road out in the country with no other vehicles to be seen when, suddenly, there was a loud "CLUNK" from behind me and the back end jumped up off the ground! I looked in the rear view mirror, and there was my battery in the middle of the road. The rust had eaten through the chassis under the back seat.

Man, I had some good times in that car!

Damn! I'm going to have to drive up there some day and buy you a beer -- we need to reminisce.

Joe

Most reactions

Back