Backdrop help needed

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So it's obvious I need a backdrop if I'm going to shoot at home and I went ahead and purchased this kit DPFSBGSPKT Photoflex First Studio BackDrop Support Kit, with BackDrop Crossbar Pole, 2 DP-LS933 Stands, & Carry Bag (got 6 clamps too) but plan on installing some flush mounted wall hooks to secure it as I don't have the room for the stands at my place. I can always use the stands for other things or locations.

What I need is decent quality backdrops, white and black for starters. I want big, like 10'x20' but I don't know what to buy or where. Can you please give me a point in the right direction, thanks in advance!

Working with seamless paper is great, except when it's not. :er:
It's great to have a nice smooth seamless backdrop, but it gets dirty and chewed up. You can just roll out more but that means it's a consumable, so you need to keep buying it.

Cotton muslin is pretty popular and comes in every color/style you could want. Usually pretty lightweight, so it's easy to transport or store, but it can get wrinkly and the cheaper stuff is easy to rip.

A good canvas backdrop might cost $1000, but it could last a lifetime. A big one would be really heavy, and hard to store, but they are durable and can even be repainted as needed.

Are you wanting Muslin? Paper? Canvas?

They all have pros and cons....
Muslin wrinkles like crazy.. but can be steamed, and it is cheap. Canvas is nice.. but costs more and is heavy and stiff. Paper is awesome... but a rolls are expensive in that size.

Are you wanting to do full length portraits on a seamless background?

Check out Amazon for some ideas.... for just cheap black and white muslin.

What I need is decent quality backdrops, white and black for starters. I want big, like 10'x20' but I don't know what to buy or where. Can you please give me a point in the right direction, thanks in advance!
While you're browsing on Adorama's website, just keyword search for "muslin background". You'll find 2078 results. I bought a collapsible Lastolite background and the quality is good. Since then, I compared it to a Westcott background. The material quality is similar.

If you were to buy a grey background, you could have white, black or grey right out of the box depending on your lighting setup. With colored gels on your flash heads, the colors of the rainbow are available.

Interesting! I have never used one and only briefly looked at my gel collection! So I'm leaning towards Muslin because cost is a big factor but I want a decent thick one that won't wrinkle as easy? I looked on Amazon and Adorama but like you said, there are so many choices I was hoping someone would point me directly at a decent deal.

I'm always hearing good recommendations for Denny's Photography Studio Backdrops & Props - Denny Mfg Co.

As for wrinkles...if you are just going to have it set up in your studio, you can 'unwrinkle' it and if you leave it hanging, it should pretty good. But if you take it down and fold it up, then it will be a mess. If you do have to take it down (to store or just to switch backdrops) it's much better if you can roll them up and store them like that.

Like most things, there isn't one product that will be best in all situations. Paper may be a better option for you...but maybe not.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Trever1t said:
So it's obvious I need a backdrop if I'm going to shoot at home and I went ahead and purchased this kit DPFSBGSPKT Photoflex First Studio BackDrop Support Kit, with BackDrop Crossbar Pole, 2 DP-LS933 Stands, & Carry Bag (got 6 clamps too) but plan on installing some flush mounted wall hooks to secure it as I don't have the room for the stands at my place. I can always use the stands for other things or locations.

I just ordered that stand too!!

I'm still websurfing hard man, I can't find a simple backdrop that will not break the bank. I'm just looking for white to start, I can add more as I improve technique. Paper is almost as expensive as muslin.

Interesting! I have never used one and only briefly looked at my gel collection! So I'm leaning towards Muslin because cost is a big factor but I want a decent thick one that won't wrinkle as easy? I looked on Amazon and Adorama but like you said, there are so many choices I was hoping someone would point me directly at a decent deal.

I just got my backdrop stands and 2 muslin backdrops--white and black. I got them at Adorama. I think the same brand that you bought--not terribly expensive and not bad overall for me, an amateur. Note that the muslin does wrinkle, but the fabric feels good, and it's not terribly expensive. I got each of mine for about $70 each. 10' x 20' (I think). Maybe 10' x 12'.

Anyhow, if the light comes through them when shooting, just double hang the muslin over the backdrop to make it double thick. This should help.

Oh, and I also bought the "heavy duty" muslin which is a bit more expensive but probably worth it in the long run.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
well I got a black and a white for now but I'll probably end up buying a grey one as well. It seems to me that my 'need' for equipment grows exponentially with experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back