Backdrop Setup Questions...

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Purchased a backdrop/lighting kit through ebay... so off the bat I know this is cheap. Bear in mind this is more hobby use at this stage. I'm using a room that's a fairly decent size, but not a dedicated studio. One window (approx 4'x5'). Wondering how I should set things up.

1) Do I use the window for back lighting, and set the backdrop right in front of it? - If yes, would I keep blinds wide open?
2) If I'm not using the window as a light source, should I set up the backdrop facing the opposite wall.
3) The lighting portion came with two umbrella's/bulbs. Do I set these up at 45 degree angles to the subject?

Sorry for the rapid fire questions... if you can think of points I haven't covered that you can advise on, please let me know. This would be for portrait/baby shots.

Thanks!

The window could be an excellent light source, but I'm not sure I would use it for back-lighting. Main or fill more likely, depending on which way it faces and how much light comes in. You can configure your lighting in an infinite number of ways. Have a look at this 'site to get an idea of what configurations will give what results.

In general, you will NOT want to set the lights up at 45 degrees; this will tend to produce what is known as 'flat' lighting, without any shadow. This is fine for passports, but for portraiture, we normally want some shadow.

DUDE! I am soooo excited for you. It is so much fun experimenting...when your toys get there...let us know and show some of your work off...lots of fun...you got me pumped up over here...woohooo!

K... to follow up on this. The kit came with a continuous light setup. When shooting my subject... whatever that may be, do I point the umbrella towards them (diffusing the light), or away from them (reflecting it off the umbrella). Sorry.. so confused. :s

Both. Depending on the lighting effect you want.

By shooting through the umbrella you can put it much closer to your subject, which makes it apparently larger, which makes the light and the shadow edges softer than having the umbrella further away and apparently a smaller light source. Unfortunately, with continuous lights it's pretty uncomfortable either way for the subject (heat, bright light, squinting, pin hole pupils).

The other big disavantage of continous lighting is you can't use the shutter speed to control just the ambient light. With strobed (flash) light the lens aperture controls the strobed light exposure and the chore of stopping motion is assumed by the short duratioon of the flash of light. That frees up the shutter speed for controling the ambient light, which is often just the background.

Last edited:
Great information... thx!

I'm looking at trying out high and low key shots, as well as standard portraits. Given that I have a light source (window) camera right, would you suggest using my sb600 off camera in place of the continuous lights? Or would you recommend keeping the sb600 on camera, and just using the additional natural light from the window - maybe using a reflector to fill any shadows camera left...

Thanks in advance!

What compass direction does the window face? What time of day and what time of year will you be shooting? How cloudy out will it be? If you're shooting early or late in the day, how much particulate matter is there in the atmosphere (that all effects the color of the sunlight).

That's part of the problem with using so called 'natural' light sources, you have little control over them.

This window is south facing... Mostly shooting during the day, although occasionally evenings. As far as particulate matter... that's a tough one - I'm in a suburb, and find the air is pretty clear. I see your point about the variables, but if I'm shooting RAW anyway, will I not be able to adjust for colour after the fact?

Right now the Sun is still pretty close to being overhead mid-day, even as far north as Vancouver. The sunlight in the mornings will not be the same color as your continuous lights or the SB-600.
That makes it mixed lighting.
In Raw you can correct for one or the other, but not both, or partially correct both, and have neither one right. The same goes for using your continuous lights with the SB-600, mixed lighting.

Wow... a lot of pieces I didn't even consider. Would you recommend limiting the light source to one type of light then? I.e. only continuous light (no flash/window), or just flash etc? Would the light from the sb600 be fairly similar to the continuous light - or way off?

You're my new lighting guru - apologies again on the rapid fire questions.

Most reactions

Back