Backdrop

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to buy a backdrop setup for use in homes and apartments. I don't know which material to get or which is better. I was told that muslin can get wrinkles and reflect light while cotton is expensive. I was also told that if I go too cheap that a flash firing can shoot through the backdrop making it appear transparent.

I don't mind spending some money of quality products that will last, but I also don't want to over pay. What is the recommended minimum length?

any help would be much appreciated,
Hunt

I'll reply
This is a backdrop I'm looking at and also rolled seamless paper I'm looking at

Back drop stands
Flashpoint 10ft High, Background Support Stand BS10
or
JTL 10 x10 Feet Heavy Duty Steel Background Support Set 5022

and paper, white
Savage Background Paper 107inx12yds Super White, #1 1-12

I know there are other options out there but I like the quality and price of the above.
I haven't bought it yet .. just have done too much research on it now. lol

Muslim etc, if you fold it it will have creases and wrinkles et all. but they are alot more portable. I was thinking of going that route but only if I used an iron to steam out the wrinkles. Also you want it to be long as it has to curve and provide a base if you are going to do full body portraits. if you are only doing facials you can have less of course.

Muslin is a cotton material. Basically what is considered a loose weave material.

I mostly used 10 foot wide by 20 foot long muslin backgrounds when I didn't use my favorite - seamless paper.
Transporting 9 foot long rolls of seamless paper isn't very practical for going into peoples homes or apartments.

As far as the wrinkles in muslin issue you might want to consider Denny Manufacturing "Freedom Cloth" backdrops.
A 10 x 20 Freedom Cloth Denny's backdrop would be about $800, and worth every penny. Photography Backdrops-FreedomCloth-Computer Painted-Denny Mfg Co.

Another place for quality backdrops is - Professional Photography Backdrops | Photography Muslins | Photo Studio Equipment, Accessories

A quality backdrop is as important to making high quality images as a $550 flash unit or an $800 camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back