Backdrops

All the pink is splash from her top. If you keep your model further from the background (several feet) that won't happen. That's to bright a color of clothing for a portrait.

If you are going to use two lights, like Mike said set your lights to a ratio. Better still for portait quality light, put your 2nd lower powered light on the lens axis behind and above you. In this configuration it is a fill light. If you put the second light to the side, it is no longer fill, just a second light.

The problem becomes competing shadows on opposite sides of the models face (or mask, as it's sometimes called) in a 2 light setup as opposed to a main and fill light setup.

A Sekonic L-308S will do all of what you need, and cost less than the 358. You'll just wind up moving around your 'studio' a bit more.

Have you seen the online Photoflex Lighting School?

Thanks tomorrow AM Im right back at it, Ill get up early and check out the site you suggested in your post as well as the other one in the post up above. I got to crash now.

garagedays2056.jpg

Im assuming the hair light will help seperate my subject/daughter from the backdrop. She kind of looks like she floating out in space. Although she has that look Im pretty sure the image up above looks better then the one below. Please keep in mind were just getting started or working out the kinks. My daughter is actually reading the book while I work on settings and take pictures. Its not a prop. LOL!!!

garagedays2062.jpg

For a first try, its not bad, but has so much more room to grow and why start with so many lights? Instead of just blasting away, learn subtlety and nuance?

Why not learn how to control ONE light, then later add 2 or more.You could get incredible shots from even 1 small light source.

Number of lights nor power doesn't mean quality. Knowledge does.

One speedlight:
3669219545_8b0b9f0764.jpg

Two speedlights:
3019334915_bc059c448a.jpg

One small light source:
3128104401_d47c5aebf9.jpg

A well known photographer once said "if you want to make a photo interesting, DON'T light all of it". ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back