Backlit portraits

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The sun was behind and a little to the side. My daughter brought the girls over separately on 3 different nights over a week. We tried for the same time in the evening and the same light. It was much easier to focus on one at a time plus no fussing/fighting. She had a photo project in mind. After I shot those photos, I then experimented with the backlit. Daughter held reflector so that my camera was in the shade. Brought up the shadows on the face and increased exposure overall. C&C welcome

060120_Aub_058_4x5SMw.jpg

060120_Aub_060SMw.jpg

060220_029SMw.jpg

060420_028_4x5SMw.jpg

5. The large wall photos. I shot these in the shade on the lane.
WallArtSMw.jpg

My only C&C would be that the shadows have a bit too much yellow in them. Otherwise, fine.

Nice, agree with Derrel. I see it more as a green tint on this monitor, which is far from a good one.

These are really good of the girls. As Derrel mentions above the yellow in the shadows especially on the face of the first is just a tad to much. One thing you can do (in Ps or Lr) is use a targeted curves adjustment in the blue channel, click on the face/shadow area and drag up to lessen the yellow.

Number 4 is my set favorite, the missing teeth smile and the highlights in the eyes makes "cuteness overload". I also like #1, you did an excellent job with the glasses, but the eyes could use some sparkle. In most ambient light shots now, I generally include a speedlight just to get that little pop of highlight in the eyes. #3 I'm not a fan of because of the pose, I much prefer the one of her printed in the bottom photo. The printed one has sassy attitude all over it! Love it.

My only C&C would be that the shadows have a bit too much yellow in them. Otherwise, fine.
Nice, agree with Derrel. I see it more as a green tint on this monitor, which is far from a good one.
These are really good of the girls. As Derrel mentions above the yellow in the shadows especially on the face of the first is just a tad to much. One thing you can do (in Ps or Lr) is use a targeted curves adjustment in the blue channel, click on the face/shadow area and drag up to lessen the yellow.

Number 4 is my set favorite, the missing teeth smile and the highlights in the eyes makes "cuteness overload". I also like #1, you did an excellent job with the glasses, but the eyes could use some sparkle. In most ambient light shots now, I generally include a speedlight just to get that little pop of highlight in the eyes. #3 I'm not a fan of because of the pose, I much prefer the one of her printed in the bottom photo. The printed one has sassy attitude all over it! Love it.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated! I did struggle with the skin tones and will try adjusting. I think next time I will use a reflector to bounce light back into their faces and use a poster board to block the light on the camera. Glad I have willing models.

@smoke665, #3 wasn't the best. She wasn't comfortable in the field even sitting on the stool. Worried about snakes.

Most reactions

Back