Backyard Birding Extravaganza

Great set! New birds are always fun to capture but nine in one year is remarkable. I'm lucky to get one or two a year and it might be just a different color phase or a juvenile of birds I've shot before. Of the bird you posted only the Wilson's Warbler is familiar to me.
Nine in one WEEK, that is. :D

Great set Sharon! Although I bought a bird book, I've totally given up trying to identify warblers and sparrows. There are PAGES of them and I just don't have the eyes to distinguish the small differences

Eyes nor ears. Check these out Browse by Bird Family (taxonomy) - Wood-Warblers, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Last year, a friend gave me her spare copy of The Warbler Guide. That book has been an absolute WONDERFUL asset during migration. I sit with the camera at the ready, and that book beside me, open to the East Fall Quick Finder page.
I have the Sibley bird guide and Peterson's as well, and I like them both, but for warblers, nothing beats this book, imo. Even if you don't buy the book, you can go to their website, and click on the "Visual Finders" link to download some great resources for helping with ID.
One little tip though: The Warbler Guide is not NEARLY as useful if it turns out that the bird you saw is actually a Vireo. :D

I have the Audubon book. But I may get the one you recommended for next year.

Barb for sure the images often all look alike in the field guides so in addition read the text. A good guide will highlight in the text the important differences between similar species and help you narrow down the quandary or even solve it.

Great set Sharon! Although I bought a bird book, I've totally given up trying to identify warblers and sparrows. There are PAGES of them and I just don't have the eyes to distinguish the small differences

Barb for sure the images often all look alike in the field guides so in addition read the text. A good guide will highlight in the text the important differences between similar species and help you narrow down the quandary or even solve it.
I learned that this summer when we saw three juvenile yellow bellied sapsuckers. It was in the text about a distinctive white stripe.
However, I took a picture of a small shore bird a week ago, and I was 1000% i had identified it. Nope, I was completely wrong. I'm going to try the other books recommended next year and see if that helps. Thankfully, I have someone who is a big time birder on my facebook and he often comes to my rescue.

Sorry Sharon for derailing your thread!

You got some great looking birds around there! :)

Here is the birthday present for grandma Bertie, 100 years old. She loved it!

aff926c8af2e8e95c9d1e22a7ef9322b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here is the birthday present for grandma Bertie, 100 years old. She loved it!

aff926c8af2e8e95c9d1e22a7ef9322b.jpg

WOW, she's 100?!?! She looks GREAT! That's some good genes right there.
Thanks for posting the photo! So glad she liked it.

Here's a close-up of the angel. No time for post processing.
3482e4d60a4089df389b06e4735d7a34.jpg

Most reactions

Back