Backyard Birds Again...

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I goofed and posted the other thread with badly lit shots. I'm calling it winter blues :p lol
Here are some shots from today with "better light". I used flash for the first time.

The one consistent thing I don't like is the size of the catchlights in their eyes. Thinking diffusing the flash or bouncing it will help this?
I'm also iffy on the lighting in general... not sure if it is because I know it is flash and I'm not used to what it looks like... or if it is because it is flash and ...

Shot settings for all:
F5.6
Shutter 1/250
ISO 250
Onboard Flash

C&C would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_7806 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

IMG_7937 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

IMG_7831 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Thanks BigknockHawk :)

I'm no help in the lighting issue but I like the last two best. The second one would be better apart from the ?snowflakes? The one by the head and the OOF one by the tail.

Did you get your computers working to do some retouching?

I like that the third is on a rock instead of the usual branch/feeder. Makes for a better composition.

Hey Dave, thanks for taking a look :)
Yep snowflakes, believe it or not it was snowing very heavily most of the day and crazy wind with gusts over 100km, I tried to get some shots that showed how nasty it was out there but the snow wreaked havoc on focus.
Unfortunately I'm still in computer hell. We have experienced the domino effect... need a new video card now *sigh*

A really nice set. You're being way too critical of yourself. Outside of pin sized white dot in each eye, one would never know these were flash pictures, especially since the background didn't go darkish. My favorite of the 3 pictures is number 3. I love the rock over the everyday branches as it just as another tone and texture you usually don't see in bird pictures, as well as no distracting branches running every which way through the picture. I don't think diffusing your flash would have done much of anything, except for those pins of white which don't detract at all from any of the pictures. Well done.

Thanks so much Joel, we are our own worst critics, isn't that always the way? I like the finch on the rock also... branches are the bane of my existence some days lol :)

Look at this funky shot should have got closer but it was hard to focus.with rain/snow hitting your face

Attachments

• $imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    $imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 93
Sam7771, you're a braver man then I. I never, ever, take my camera and equipment out in foul weather. For what I paid for all of it, it's just too much of a gamble.

Yea i understand i just got a nikon cool pix p500 but its a good entry for what it cost. i want the cannon rebal tho

Thats where you get your best shots
Might very well be. But ruin a few thousand dollars worth of equipment out in the rain, and some how taking that great picture doesn't seem so important. I'm just being realistic. Now when the time comes when I can actually afford water proof equipment, then I'll venture out in the worst weather I can stand. Until then, I'll continue to shoot indoors (greenhouses), or just play couch potato. As it is, the head of household finances (The Wife), thinks I spend way too much on my two hobbies.

Hey Sam, thanks!
I have to say I'm with Joel on this one. I have a cool goose shot in another thread of it flying in the snow but no camera was put in danger to get it ;)
Not to mention that if my hubby caught me outside in the snow, rain, etc... With my $2k worth of gear ... he would first determine my level of sanity and upon discovering it still in tact would proceed to kill me lol

Hey Sam, thanks!
I have to say I'm with Joel on this one. I have a cool goose shot in another thread of it flying in the snow but no camera was put in danger to get it ;)
Not to mention that if my hubby caught me outside in the snow, rain, etc... With my $2k worth of gear ... he would first determine my level of sanity and upon discovering it still in tact would proceed to kill me lol

Nicely said. I'm sure my loving wife would agree with your husbands' methods, and I would be right behind you to the firing squad.

Most reactions

Back