Backyard star trails

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife and I had our son earlier this week, so needless to say, there are a bunch if sleepless nights. Last night I took advantage of it and with clear skies for a couple hours, I tried my hand at a star trail image over my house. This is a new process for me, but I really enjoyed it. It is also nice to he able to spend a little time setting it up, then just letting the camera run. I think I will be playing with this technique more.

-Nikon D800
-Nikon 20mm f/1.8 @ f/4
-134 x 25 second exposures at ISO 800 for the sky (I would have like 250-300 exposures, but clouds came in)
-1 exposure at 30 sec, ISO 2200 for the foreground
-Sky exposure blended in StarStax
-Sky and foreground blending and touch ups in PS

Backyard Star Trails-101.jpg

Nice work! Star trails are a ton of fun to play with! Great first attempt!

Fun thing to try: Find objects that have open spaces you can silhouette against the sky. Statues, sculptures, bridges/trestles, fire towers, etc.

I'm not sure if you're into camping at all, but I love to go out somewhere and set up a tent for the night, then just set the camera up and go to sleep while it runs. Then I wake up and shoot a sunrise as well! Makes for a fun night.

Congratulations! Looking forward to some cute baby pics soon.

Love the photo.

My wife and I had our son earlier this week, so needless to say, there are a bunch if sleepless nights. Last night I took advantage of it and with clear skies for a couple hours, I tried my hand at a star trail image over my house. This is a new process for me, but I really enjoyed it. It is also nice to he able to spend a little time setting it up, then just letting the camera run. I think I will be playing with this technique more.

-Nikon D800
-Nikon 20mm f/1.8 @ f/4
-134 x 25 second exposures at ISO 800 for the sky (I would have like 250-300 exposures, but clouds came in)
-1 exposure at 30 sec, ISO 2200 for the foreground
-Sky exposure blended in StarStax
-Sky and foreground blending and touch ups in PS

View attachment 190695
Wow!

Super cool!!

I gotta give this a try.

I always like these shots. Nice work

Most reactions

Back