Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Here are a few edits of the same image I shot while out a few weeks ago, and was looking for some feedback on which one/s you preferred AND WHY (the latter is very important to me).
Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

1 Shadows in  a sunlit tunnel - Full contrast - blue filter.jpg 2Shadows in  a sunlit tunnel - Full contrast.jpg 3Shadows in  a sunlit tunnel - low key 2.jpg 4Shadows in  a sunlit tunnel.jpg

Last edited:
I think perhaps the middle two have either too little or too much contrast compared to the first one.
Personally I'd prefer the last one with a person in red at the far end for a spot of contrast. With that the colour has an advantage, otherwise first & last are fairly close to equivalent & I couldn't choose between them.

I think perhaps the middle two have either too little or too much contrast compared to the first one.
Personally I'd prefer the last one with a person in red at the far end for a spot of contrast. With that the colour has an advantage, otherwise first & last are fairly close to equivalent & I couldn't choose between them.
Thanks for the C&C petrochemist.
I hear what you're saying about the red dress. I'll have to add this to a location for a fashion shoot. Cheers Mate!!

The first image has a good balance of greys, and the lines invite exploration of the various elements .

The contrast in the second is less, and there's less definition of the individual areas. You can see more detail in the shadows, but it's not necessarily meaningful detail.

The contrast in the third is much more extreme, with the shadow areas become almost impenetrable and the bright areas are almost pushed apart so that they don't related to each other.

The fourth, being in colour, has a different feel to it (more high-key), and here the highlight feel that they're close to being blown while the only relatively deep shadows are confined to the other end of the tunnel.

This is essentially a graphic image which depends on strong lines and tonal contrast. I think the lower left image with its high contrast does the most to support these aspects of the image. It doesn't matter to me that there is much less detail in the dark areas because for me those areas are there to divide the image; too little detail might be distracting, but there is just enough there to avoid that. The only suggestion I have is to lighten the wall on the right for better light-dark balance (have you read Composition Understanding Line Notan and Color Dover Art Instruction Arthur Wesley Dow 9780486460079 Amazon.com Books - he uses the Japanese term notan for this).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The first image has a good balance of greys, and the lines invite exploration of the various elements .

The contrast in the second is less, and there's less definition of the individual areas. You can see more detail in the shadows, but it's not necessarily meaningful detail.

The contrast in the third is much more extreme, with the shadow areas become almost impenetrable and the bright areas are almost pushed apart so that they don't related to each other.

The fourth, being in colour, has a different feel to it (more high-key), and here the highlight feel that they're close to being blown while the only relatively deep shadows are confined to the other end of the tunnel.
Very well explained!! Thanks!! I feel better now :)

This is essentially a graphic image which depends on strong lines and tonal contrast. I think the lower left image with its high contrast does the most to support these aspects of the image. It doesn't matter to me that there is much less detail in the dark areas because for me those areas are there to divide the image; too little detail might be distracting, but there is just enough there to avoid that. The only suggestion I have is to lighten the wall on the right for better light-dark balance (have you read Composition Understanding Line Notan and Color Dover Art Instruction Arthur Wesley Dow 9780486460079 Amazon.com Books - he uses the Japanese term notan for this).
Thanks for the C&C Ken.
I'll definitely have to read the book, thanks for the recommendation.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow, what a cool looking tunnel! So beautifully engineered and built. I went through the four images, and the first and last ones were my favorites. My least-favorite was the most contrasty one...that one just felt too 'processed' for me. Good to see you around!

Wow, what a cool looking tunnel! So beautifully engineered and built. I went through the four images, and the first and last ones were my favorites. My least-favorite was the most contrasty one...that one just felt too 'processed' for me. Good to see you around!
Thanks Derrel,
Been really busy with my new phase of work life. Good to be back.

lower left image
Just to point out viewing this at work (on a wide monitor) the colour image was the lower left (a row of 3 B&W with a single colour image underneath). Fortunately the rest of your post clarified which you were referring too. Checking the OP again here I get the same 2x2 layout as you obviously did.

lower left image
Just to point out viewing this at work (on a wide monitor) the colour image was the lower left (a row of 3 B&W with a single colour image underneath). Fortunately the rest of your post clarified which you were referring too. Checking the OP again here I get the same 2x2 layout as you obviously did.

Damn work computers! Actually, I have two large monitors set up vertically, so there was no chance this would display as it did on yours. Another reason to number one's images when posting more than one.

lower left image

Damn work computers! Actually, I have two large monitors set up vertically, so there was no chance this would display as it did on yours. Another reason to number one's images when posting more than one.
Done!! (Finally figured it out :icon_redface:)

Very interesting image. I prefer 1, 2 and 4. Not a fan of number 3, too much contrast.

It's number 1 for me. Very nice conversion. However I would prefer the shot without your shadow in it even more.

Most reactions

Back