Bad Indoor Lighting

ThePictureEffect

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok.

So I have a question about taking indoor shots. I was attempting to take some candids of my dad, however, the lighting was not so good. Everything looked really yellow. I'm just wondering if there is a way to get rid of that. I tried doing a whole bunch of things: changing the aperture, using/not using a flash, playing with the ISO, etc. (as a side note, I'm still learning about all these things so sometimes I play around just to see what happens :lol:)

So any advice? Or do I have to settle for yellow pictures since I don't have good lighting? I'd really appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks!

set your white balance.
either custom will work if you know how...or it's probably tungsten (traditional bulbs)

When I was dealing with the same thing, I went back and checked a few things.
1)ISO-you may want to up it to 800 or so
2)Check and make sure your white balance is on auto, normally it will take care of that
3)try shooting in Program mode and then go back just to see what the camera set itself at...then you can go back and adjust to your liking
4)If you have a flash with a swivel head, try bouncing it off the ceiling

I am a real noob though, take what I say with a grain.....although I must say my indoor candid shots have been getting better and better LOL!

Thanks very much. I will now go back and try again.

As a note: I just realized I can custom set my white balance. I didn't know I could do that (it might help if I read the manual, lol) So I may try that since having it set on auto didn't seem to help much.

Thanks very much. I will now go back and try again.

As a note: I just realized I can custom set my white balance. I didn't know I could do that (it might help if I read the manual, lol) So I may try that since having it set on auto didn't seem to help much.

Get yourself a grey card from a local camera store if you can. They run about $3.00 and is the professional way to set your white balance.
The manual might say to use a white piece of paper but that doesn't always work. If you have 10 pieces of paper made by 10 different companies, then you are likely to have 10 different colors of 'white.' Companies add different colors to make the white seem white which your eye can't really notice, but your cameras sensor sure can.

Get a grey card, set your custom WB off of that and you will be good to go! Also keep the grey card out of sun as much as possible and keep it in a dry, dark place!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back