Bag for Mamiya RB67

Kombipete

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
G'day!
Yesterday I took delivery of a used Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, plus 3 lenses, and I need to suss out a bag for it. What are you guys using? I guess weight is an issue with these cameras so I'm not sure if a shoulder bag would cut it. Anyway, I'd be really grateful for some help. :)
Cheers
Peter

Shoulder bags can work for heavier gear, but only if you're not walking long distance. If its just from the car to the studio/house for example then you don't need a more rugged and padded bag (necessarily) since you've not all that long to actually carry it.

If you're looking at hiking and longer trips (landscapes) then you'll more likely want to get hold of a larger backpack with a proper harness support in place - simply because you'll be able to walk a lot further before needing to take a rest.

Myself my current two bags that hold mine are a Jessops case, which is a solid, padded upright case with a single handle. Its not suitable for a long walk, but ideal for simply sorting and shifting the camera around shorter distances. I'm not sure if they make the case any more (its pretty olld and came with it) but you can easily find similar cases.

My other is a LowePro Pro-Trekker 600 AW - which is somewhat overkill (you could probably get a 300 or 400 but you'll have to test the size fittings) but certainly enough to let me carry it long distance.

Yes, I'll be trecking into the desert with it for a day at a time, returning to the van at night.. hopefully!

The Jessops case you mentioned, is that an aluminium one with foam cutouts? That would be good for the camera to live in when not working. I'll check out the LowePro Pro-Treckers, thanks for that. :)

I think if it had foam cutouts they are long gone before I got the camera and case. That said I suspect there are many similar designs on the market since Jessops is primarily a photo retailer in the UK not a manufacturer - as such its likely a generic unit with a name simply stamped on it.

I carry my Mamiya RB 67 system, three lenses, two backs, etc etc, specifically in a shoulder bag rather than a backpack. There is a bit of weight but nothing like the 8x10 view camera outfit I use as an alternative to the Mamiya. A shoulder bag lets you change shoulders to shift the fatigue around. And I can work out of the bag without having to put it down in the mud, snow, etc. My choice was the Lowepro Commercial AW medium format bag. It is the biggest (?) shoulder bag made but it has the nicest, most comfortable shoulder strap. It needs it.

Hmm.. I'll check out generic solid cases. My feeling is it should live in something solid and only take it out in something more comfy for me! :)

Maris, I'll be taking the same payload as you. I was concerned about the single strap but as you say, I could swap shoulders - a lot! LowePro seems to have a bit of support from you guys so I'll have a good look at them. Why is it that anything with the word 'camera' attached to it has a premium price put on it? Are we such suckers? ;)

Probably ;)
LowePro are a top brand and most of their bags come with a lifetime warranty (and from what I hear they are pretty good at honouring it as well). Their bags tend to be a bit camera specific, so can sometimes lack extra normal storage space; however they also make a lot o hiking bags as well so they have a very full range on the market.

They've even some exclusive options like their DryZone range which are fully waterproof bags able to act as a buoyancy aid.

Mine is in a custom case with form fitted foam for the body, backs, viewfinder, one lens and a misc accessories. Of course, it probably weighs 40 lbs. :er:

Talk about a hard decision! I'm taking overread's advice about Lowepro. I agree it's important to have a quality bag that's been well thought out and has a lifetime guarantee (hoping that's a LONG time!)

I think I'm settling on a Lowepro Magnum 650 AW Shoulder Bag. Maris, I couldn't find the Lowepro Commercial AW you mentioned. Perhaps it's a discontinued line. But I'm taking your advice about a shoulder bag so I can get relief one shoulder to another and it just means I have to be clever with my route planning! :)

I've only just realised the AW is for All Weather! *dummy*

The other issue is travelling with the RB kit and I'm going to have a serious look for a solid case that I can perhaps use foam cutouts like Mike has... even if it does weigh 40 lbs at least it will be well protected! ;)

*whew*

So thanks heaps for all your help. I really appreciate it. :)

Peter

If you want a serious solid case - Pelican are the top brand most people choose.

Overread, you are so right, again! Great cases! Looking at them right now.. need to get a tape measure to find out which one will work. When they say Pick N Pluck I guess they are meaning you can take out small bits of foam to make holes for camera and lenses, yes?

I thought they would be much more expensive than they are, considering the obvious build quality. Very nice :) Thanks !

If you can swing one with the adjustable padded dividers you will be far happier. Not only can you fit more gear, but the first time you reconfigure you pretty much paid for the dividers.

Epatsellis, going by the ready reckoner on the Pelican site I'm going to need a huge case! Perhaps that's because I'm supposed to leave a fair amount of space between each piece of kit. I'll do it again with inserts instead of foam. Thanks.

Look at the Billingham 225, 335, 445, 555 series of bags - they give great protection from knocks, drops and weather and are almost impossible to wear out. the bags can be carrid on the shoulder, as a grip or there is even a harness available to carry them on your back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back