Bah

Wait...you can DELETE photos from flickr?!?!? :lmao: I treat flickr the same way I treat my email--it may go IN there, but it never comes out.

My problem with my Flickr is that I can't seem to settle into what its real purpose is. I DO want the public to see my pictures there, but I only want them to see my *best* photos (both of them... :lol: ).
But then I also want family and friends to be able to see the other stuff--the so-so pictures that they'll still love, the family snapshots, the vacation pics.
AND I also use it as basically the storage unit for these time-sucking games on TPF, like Visual Echo and 3 Degrees.

So, I just keep it all up there. But I do think it detracts from people actually viewing anything beyond perhaps the one picture that brought them there.

My 500px account is what I use as my "portfolio" website--that's where I put what *I* consider the best of my best--which is really like saying "the least awful of the mediocre." :lmao: And THAT account definitely needs some serious updating. I haven't added anything to it in a while, for one thing, and I like to think that I've improved a little bit.

I've actually thought about starting a "build my portfolio" thread--people create "portfolio choices" sets on flickr (or wherever) and then post links and ask for opinions about which 10-12 should stay. Because I simply do NOT know how to pare them down beyond maybe a top 30-40. Or 50. :D

I can tell what's awful, which is most of it. I can tell what's just "okay" which is almost everything else. But that last 40 or so, I can't figure out how to decide whether, for instance, one picture of a bird is "stronger" than another picture of the same bird. It becomes too subjective and depends on what day it is. Especially Thursdays...I could never get the hang of Thursdays. :D
(for the uninitiated, that's a Hitchhiker's Guide quote from Arthur Dent)

I seem to remember looking through your flickr a while back and very much liking everything i saw actually :thumbup:

In fact, I just added you as a contact :)
Thanks for the add, I added you back ;)
See the bolded part.... that is the vicious circle that catches us!!
Now, after reading Sharon's reply about the game threads I'm thinking deleting them may not be the wisest idea (I'm a total game geek lol) .... perhaps a second account for JUST the best.... (yes I know that doesn't solve the mess in the first one lol)

My photo club just had a presentation by the curator of a local art gallery, and she strongly encouraged us to think of themes to organize the images. Her point was that people need to be oriented a bit (as in opening their eyes and their minds) to actually "see" an image, instead of skimming over, and to do that, a thematic display helps set the stage in terms of expectation and perceptions. She also pointed out that giving titles to images can skew dramatically the viewers' interpretation of what they are seeing, so some care has to be given to use titles that orient the viewer in the desired (by the artist) direction. In doing a themed presentation she suggested we work out the visual flow so that each image adds a bit more to the overall "presence", with the result that the whole is greater than its parts. I thought it was very useful advice, especially if we are used to showing individual pieces.

Wait...you can DELETE photos from flickr?!?!? :lmao: I treat flickr the same way I treat my email--it may go IN there, but it never comes out.

My problem with my Flickr is that I can't seem to settle into what its real purpose is. I DO want the public to see my pictures there, but I only want them to see my *best* photos (both of them... :lol: ).
But then I also want family and friends to be able to see the other stuff--the so-so pictures that they'll still love, the family snapshots, the vacation pics.
AND I also use it as basically the storage unit for these time-sucking games on TPF, like Visual Echo and 3 Degrees.

So, I just keep it all up there. But I do think it detracts from people actually viewing anything beyond perhaps the one picture that brought them there.

My 500px account is what I use as my "portfolio" website--that's where I put what *I* consider the best of my best--which is really like saying "the least awful of the mediocre." :lmao: And THAT account definitely needs some serious updating. I haven't added anything to it in a while, for one thing, and I like to think that I've improved a little bit.

I've actually thought about starting a "build my portfolio" thread--people create "portfolio choices" sets on flickr (or wherever) and then post links and ask for opinions about which 10-12 should stay. Because I simply do NOT know how to pare them down beyond maybe a top 30-40. Or 50. :D

I can tell what's awful, which is most of it. I can tell what's just "okay" which is almost everything else. But that last 40 or so, I can't figure out how to decide whether, for instance, one picture of a bird is "stronger" than another picture of the same bird. It becomes too subjective and depends on what day it is. Especially Thursdays...I could never get the hang of Thursdays. :D

I love Douglas Adams. I have read all of his books in the unabridged hitchhikers series, as well as the long dark teatime of the soul. Great books. So long amd thanks for all the fish was one of my favorites

I love Douglas Adams. I have read all of his books in the unabridged hitchhikers series, as well as the long dark teatime of the soul. Great books. So long amd thanks for all the fish was one of my favorites

I am a hopeless Adams' junkie!! Hence the "Mostly Harmless" in my sig. :D I've read all the books any number of times, but I think the original one remains my favorite.
Have you ever read "Last Chance to See" that he co-authored with a zoologist named Mark Carwardine? It's a non-fiction account of a journey they took, the "last chance" to see some highly endangered species--but it has much of the same wonderful humor in it as his other books.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to derail the thread, but when talk turns to Douglas Adams, I can't resist...we now return you to our regular programming... :D

Haha, no problem :) I've not read any Douglas Adas since I was a kid. I should re-visit it as an adult...

I don't use my flickr account for family & friends stuff - I use facebook for that, so I'm trying to make flickr my online portfolio I guess...

The themes idea is a good one. Flickr does let you create sets, which would do that, but you need to actually go look at the set, and everything needs to be in your photostream, so it's still easier to look at them out of context than in.

Hmmm, titles... you mean thinking beyond "IMG_02342"? Hmmm... might have an idea there...

I'm determined to get down to a 1-page flickr account now :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back