Egocentric PRO Photographer: venting

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I maybe moved, but I have to vent, so here goes. Sunday I was at The Old Mill a city and state funded historical site. It is a very very popular place in our area, because it has interesting sculptures, an old mill, gardens, etc. A lot of individuals get married there, bridal photos, any kind of photos. Well, I was there with a cousin who has a disability and can not walk far, and the handicap parking was taken. I got to the ramp walk way, and a well know Photographer in our area had taken red cones and blocked off about 6 barking places for a limo to shoot a bride and groom. He was barking orders at his other backup photographers. I ask him to move the cones, so I could drive up and pick up my cousin. He told me, NO, because he was waiting on a limo to shoot the bride and groom. I told him that is city and state funded, and he did not have the authority to prevent people from parking, because everyone has a right to a parking spot. The limo could park were it found a spot like everyone else. I was very nice, and said if you don't move the cones when I drive up here to pick up my relative, I will call the police, and how would that work with your photographing. He muttered a few un-choice words, but when I drove up he removed the cones, and while my cousin was getting in several other cars came in and parked were cones had been. He started screaming at the people to move and they wouldn't. One, man said he pays taxes! This Pro photographer was rude and definately out of control! I have been to a few weddings he has shot, and he is demanding to the wedding party and to his backup shooters, but people still book him. I don't understand why, because IMO his pictures are just normal wedding shots. He gets $400 just for a setting fee when photographing children, because I know people who use him. I asked one lady why do you use the guy, and she said because all her friends do. Why do some photographers let it go to their head, and loss decent social skills? This man has been in business for many years, but it seems to me he needs to retire due to his behavior.

If he was a pro photographer, he would have been gracious and able to adapt. Sounds like an amateur to me. ;-)

Keep calm and photo bomb.

A lot of people build reputations on the quality of their work, some people have lucked out and built their reputations on the people they have done photos of, and some people have had reputations built for them. There is a very well known wedding/portrait photographer where I live, he is an ok guy at times when he wants something, and does good work. He also has one of the few studios that remain, and over the past 25 years built a reputation on the people he has done portraits of. I have seen him in action when he is trying to impress other photographers, suffering from short man issues, he is arrogant and acts like a jerk to those around him, but still he is very successful. There is nothing that can be done with people that act this way, nothing you can say either, and he will never change. They like to be above other people, it gives them a sense of security.

With the guy you are talking about, it was good that things started to fall apart for him, it's only when other people see him act like a child that it will affect his business, even if he loses one potential client. Unfortunately it's people like this and the ambush paparazzi that give people a poor opinion of photographers

They exist in every profession... Successful people are often driven people and they've discovered that being a jerk at times wins them opportunities. Its a common notion that "nice" people don't do as well in Corporate America. They also have a competitive nature to them that drives them to feed that ego.

I work among many phd and masters level people in a company that historically has required a master to be considered for employment. They've given me a hard time as well... often challenging them escalates fairly quickly because I don't have the same level of "credentials" they do. My career has been driven by my pragmatic and hard working approach to problems (I was a very weak student)... considering the situation, I think I'm doing just fine. I found that standing your ground works best... you did just fine. Except, I would have taken it a step further.... called the police after I had picked up my relative. The inconvenience and rude response would have been enough for me to justify it. Then again... I'm a product of my environment and I don't back down very easily. Being respectful is a character I hold and expect from everyone I interact with.

Oh yes... PHOTO BOMB! lol

Keep calm and photo bomb.

Good thinking! I should have taken his picture acting up or video. I had my camera with me. I was calm, I think that is what partly ticked him off.

A lot of people build reputations on the quality of their work, some people have lucked out and built their reputations on the people they have done photos of, and some people have had reputations built for them. There is a very well known wedding/portrait photographer where I live, he is an ok guy at times when he wants something, and does good work. He also has one of the few studios that remain, and over the past 25 years built a reputation on the people he has done portraits of. I have seen him in action when he is trying to impress other photographers, suffering from short man issues, he is arrogant and acts like a jerk to those around him, but still he is very successful. There is nothing that can be done with people that act this way, nothing you can say either, and he will never change. They like to be above other people, it gives them a sense of security.

With the guy you are talking about, it was good that things started to fall apart for him, it's only when other people see him act like a child that it will affect his business, even if he loses one potential client. Unfortunately it's people like this and the ambush paparazzi that give people a poor opinion of photographers

I live around the Little Rock, AR and like other large cities people with a lot of money. Some wants pictures on their walls that has his name one them. A snob thing. I use to be married into money, and most of my ex-relatives would use a photographer or go to a certain place just because their friends did. Didn't matter if the product was good or not. My family is normal working people, and we are try to get the most for our money...God is my only role model...people's actions not titles or money does not impress me.

They exist in every profession... Successful people are often driven people and they've discovered that being a jerk at times wins them opportunities. Its a common notion that "nice" people don't do as well in Corporate America. They also have a competitive nature to them that drives them to feed that ego.

Oh yes... PHOTO BOMB! lol

I work among many phd and masters level people in a company that historically has required a master to be considered for employment. They've given me a hard time as well... often challenging them escalates fairly quickly because I don't have the same level of "credentials" they do. My career has been driven by my pragmatic and hard working approach to problems (I was a very weak student)... considering the situation, I think I'm doing just fine. I found that standing your ground works best... you did just fine. Except, I would have taken it a step further.... called the police after I had picked up my relative. The inconvenience and rude response would have been enough for me to justify it. Then again... I'm a product of my environment and I don't back down very easily. Being respectful is a character I hold and expect from everyone I interact with.

I use to be an adjunct for a university, and I got a lot of...holy than thou attitude, because I did not have my Phd, so I can sympathize with you. I normally don't back down, put I had two children with me, and I did not want them to experience a police situation. I stayed calm when I was talking to him...I know that is part of what made him mad, plus after he told me who he was, I said, "Now who are you?" I just left him there acting horrible for others to watch, and there were many people were watching him. I saw the limo coming as I left. I feel sorry for the second shooters.

I think that wedding photography has had more than it's share of these types of people. Part of the reason is that, in large part, wedding photography is a one time purchase. He get's paid for that day and if (on that day) you find out he's a jerk, it's too late to change anything. And you're only retribution is to say..."Well, I won't use him for my next wedding". ;)

Of course, any good business owner knows the benefits of happy, satisfied customers....and with a photography studio, repeat customers are very important. Which does make you wonder how some of these guys have been in business for so long. But as you said...some times they are just intrenched into a community and people use them 'just because' their friends do.
Retail photography is a much more competitive market than it used to be...but having a studio (especially for 20 years) goes a long way when so many other photographers just work from home (or are only part-time photographers). If someone with such a bad attitude started out today...much more likely that they would fail.

But that being said, it's often a fine line between commanding and assertive and coming off as a jerk. And with the fast paced, once in a lifetime nature of weddings....sometimes you can't afford to be sweet and charming to everyone you come across. Sometimes it's better to act the jerk if it helps you get your job done. No excuse for being a jerk all the time though.

You won, he lost. He is still a jerk, you have class.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back