Bailee (Pet Portrait, C&C please)

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one of our miniature dachshunds, Bailee.

I am trying to improve my off-camera flash use. Used a shoot-thru umbrella with a speed light. Would there be a technique in post-processing to remove the visible umbrella in her eye?

Thank you for your C&C.

_JAB0446.jpg

If you really want to, you could clone it out, however I'd leave it. It forms a 'catchlight' which is normally a desirable element in a portrait. It might be worth trying to knock the background down another stop or so, as it's a bit bright, and pulls the eye away from the subject.

I agree with John. I too like the catch light and have tried to remove catch lights thinking they detracted from the photo only to find that I actually preferred the look. I would consider cloning out the dandruff or at least the one white speck. Also maybe next go make the DOF a little wider to catch some more of the nose/face. Just my opinion though. Cute pup btw.

Thanks for the comments. I see what you mean about the catchlight now, and I can see where it adds a good element to the photo. Without it, I suppose the eyes might look "lifeless."

I also thought about the DOF when I was editing the photo. The nose could use a little more focus, so I will retry this photo again.

Very sweet portait. Next time I would use a cloth to create an even and less distracting background.
Yes, may be a stop of DOF more. Nose is OOF.

I like it ... It might be a little rich in mid-tones for me, and I might have framed the dogs left eye up a bit and to the right. Got the catchlight in the left eye ... I can see noise/artifacts (terminology?) in the image in the OOF areas, looks like little bacteria under a microscope (to me). There's dandruff I'd shop out on the the dogs snout, if nothing else the big white speck. There's also a little blemish in the chair fabric about 7:00 position from the dogs nose. I like the way the dog is staring straight into the lens.

I like the feel of the image. I can almost sense the softness in the ears :)

My take, but I'm a newb as well.

Most reactions

Back