Ball head or 3-way head??

iluvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a really nice Manfrotto tripod as a birthday gift. The price for 3-way head and ball head are the same. I have never used ball head.

Which one do you recommend?

It depends on your shooting style. If you're after speed, the ball head might be better. If you're after accuracy and can take your time, a 3-way head is more suitable.

I don't know I guess a bit of both!! I mostly be using it for landscape and buildings shots at night. The ball head doesn't have a "Level" but I was thinking I can glue one on it!!

For a landscape and architecture I would personally use a 3-way head because it is more accurate. The bubble level is a non-issue as you can use one of those in the accessory shoe of your camera (BTW, they are much cheaper on eBay).

The most flexible in my opinion is a ball head with friction control or of hydrostatic type.

With that said, I see equal use between a 3way and ball... 3 way is definitely great for landscapes and architecture.

I have always been of the opinion that a 3-way head is more of a stable platform for your camera. Having said that alot of the new balheads are alot more stable then they used to be so it is really a matter of personal opinion and what you like to use. As long as you stay with a Manfrotto head you are always going to get something of excellent quality.

The most flexible in my opinion is a ball head with friction control or of hydrostatic type.

With that said, I see equal use between a 3way and ball... 3 way is definitely great for landscapes and architecture.

Quick FYI reference this type of ball head. If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near your location go check out the counter with the spotting scopes etc. They carry Bogen Manfrotto gear. 3021BPro legs as well as the new 055XBPro legs. This last weekend I was there and they had their Vanguard S300 ball head on sale. Separate friction control. Separate panning base that was very fluid. I picked one up for $29.00, normally $100.00. The dedicated QR on the top screws right off and can be replaced with the RC2/RC4/RC0 QR or with an Arca-Swiss QR. I happened to have a spare RC2 QR head lying around an put it on. A very stable, and large head that I now prefer over my 488RC2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back