Ballerina In The House

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was bored Wednesday night, so I asked my super-flexible, super-athletic ballerina friend to let me take some photos of him in my "studio" (it's a small room with black fabric stapled to the walls).

I used a speedlite on the first two, because my hot lights weren't directional enough, and on the last two I did use the hotlight, which he didn't mind because it was freaking cold and those lights were sooooo warm.

I don't really know what I'm doing, honestly. I have yet to study any formal lighting technique, so I just wing it usually and experiment, and the space I have to use is.....ghetto....for lack of a better term...it scares the hell out of me when someone asks if they could pay for studio photos. lol I'm hoping to take a class in lighting next semester for credit. Hopefully.

Last edited:
His pants blend into the background. Need some light on that.
The closeups look OOF and there is that strange effect of wide angles that make his mid section and torso look smaller proportionately.
I think you need a bigger room.

Lew

I tried to bring the pants out as much as I could. I did have them backlit, but the brim of light around them was distracting because the contrast between the black and the light draw the eye to that point, because it tricks the eye into believing that the light around the pants is brighter than the light around the rest of his body. On the first two, I didn't light his pants intentionally.

I think that one of the closeups might be OOF, I think I focused too far back, but the other is not.

His waist looks like that. Wide angles don't usually barrel distortion as opposed to pincushion distortion, which the the kind your are referring to.

Last edited:
Need a speck more light, but awesome set...

(are guys ballerinas or are they Dancers....?)

Need a speck more light, but awesome set... (are guys ballerinas or are they Dancers....?)
(I'm honestly not sure...I had to drive about 100 miles after posting this so I was just hoping that I didn't offend someone)

Wikipedia:

Traditions within ballet gender the titles given to men and women who perform as ballet dancers. A ballerina (Italianhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_language for "female dancer") is a title used to describe a female professional ballet dancer, usually within a ballet company; the male equivalent to this title is danseur(French) or ballerino (Italian).

Looks like you just called your friend a female dancer in Italian... ;)

Wikipedia:

Traditions within ballet gender the titles given to men and women who perform as ballet dancers. A ballerina (Italian for "female dancer") is a title used to describe a female professional ballet dancer, usually within a ballet company; the male equivalent to this title is danseur(French) or ballerino (Italian).

Looks like you just called your friend a female dancer in Italian... ;)

Yeah I know. :(

I wasn't sure if ballerino was a word. It sounded kind of slang to me. I guess he would be a danseur, since he is French.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back