Band Manager seeks a photo...

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently (yesterday) my girlfriend was contacted by the manager of a band that we saw last year, and did some photography at for a concert review we were writing for the paper I work at. For whatever reason, they contacted her via facebook requesting a photo that she had taken (well as it turns out, it was a photo I had taken but somehow he sent her a message... Weird.) He wants a full resolution shot of one of my photos. Should I give it, or sell it for a nominal fee?

I do really like the band, and they're excellent live. But if I could be making money, shouldn't I? The photo also got published in the newspaper I work for.

The Band:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-J9pXAt8Rc[/ame]

2 Guys, a bunch of loop pedals, and a ton of talent. You should see the guitarist on his Carvin Double Neck....

You like the band, and evidently they like you. But unless they're giving you free concert tickets and/or free CD's, I would charge them for the photo.

Be fair, but business is business.

If this band is making money from your image, than you're entitled to make from it as well. If it's just a small-time garage-band playing for a few dollars in sleezy bars (not that there's anything wrong with that) I could understand giving them a helping hand, but if they're doing okay, I say "regular rates".

Does the newspaper own your images?

No, I bought my camera and all my equipment, so I own the rights to them. I only get paid for the hours that I put in to take photos, not for individual pictures.

Ah, ok. Often, if it's "work for hire", the employer owns the rights.

Then sell the image!

Ah, ok. Often, if it's "work for hire", the employer owns the rights.

Then sell the image!

I also just consulted the editor of the newspaper, she told me that I should present him with two options after asking what the use of the photo will be:

1. Tell him that I will sell him the rights to the image for a fee, and he has all the rights to the photo...

or

2. Give him the image on the condition that I receive photo credit under whatever conditions it is used, either commercially or privately.

Does that seem fairly reasonable?

I'm in the sell your image camp as well.
I'd also find out what the intended use of the image is, and adjust pricing accordingly.

Are they going huge, signed a record deal, and want to put your image front and center on their marketing...might be a different price.

I would sell it to him. You can give him a good deal on it and let him know that you have to make money, but you do like the band and want to help them out. Other than I would say that you would also let them use it in exchange for another photo opportunity. Maybe the guy manages other bands as well. Could be worth a freebie in order to get an inside advantage.

sell it. make a little cashola. :D

No it doesn't seem fairly reasonable to me, but I do agree with your editor that usage is key to determining the value of the photograph. I would add a properly written use license is needed to define the scope of the useage.

Bands are pretty careful with their intellectual property and photographers can learn a lot from how bands manage their rights. At the same time bands are perfectly willing to trample the rights of other creatives.

From the Picture Licensing Universal System - Picture licensing Glossary

All rights - The unrestricted right to reproduce, distribute, display, and perform a work for any purpose, unless restrictions or limitations are specified. Not a copyright transfer. Not exclusive unless otherwise specified.

Additional Info...............Not recommended for use in a license. An ambiguous term that frequently results in misunderstandings. Often confused with buyout and copyright transfer.
Term In Use................."The client asked to license all rights."
PLUS Usability Rank.......Discouraged
Preferred Term..............Unlimited Use
:: PLUS :: is the link for the above definition page.

A use license generator: :: PLUS :: License Generator

Getting photo credit is essentially valueless.

Last edited:
A photo credit is worth less than a pitcher of beer...

...sell them usage rights....

...I enjoyed the video a heck of a lot!

No it doesn't seem fairly reasonable to me, but I do agree with your editor that usage is key to determining the value of the photograph. I would add a properly written use license is needed to define the scope of the useage.

Bands are pretty careful with their intellectual property and phoptographers can learn a lot from how bands manage their rights. At the same time bands are perfectly willing to trample the rights of other creatives.

From the Picture Licensing Universal System - Picture licensing Glossary

All rights - The unrestricted right to reproduce, distribute, display, and perform a work for any purpose, unless restrictions or limitations are specified. Not a copyright transfer. Not exclusive unless otherwise specified.

Additional Info...............Not recommended for use in a license. An ambiguous term that frequently results in misunderstandings. Often confused with buyout and copyright transfer.
Term In Use................."The client asked to license all rights."
PLUS Usability Rank.......Discouraged
Preferred Term..............Unlimited Use
:: PLUS :: is the link for the above definition page.

A use license generator: :: PLUS :: License Generator

Getting photo credit is essentially valueless.

So this Plus License generator is completely free? Totally bookmarked that shizzle. Thanks Keith!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back