Bang for your buck

lmartinez614

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a nikon D80 and i wanted to get a new lens for it. Something for every day use with the occasional baseball games here and there. I was looking into the nikkor 70-300mm its only $159 AT CANOGACAMERA.COM. any feedback on that lense?

Last edited:
That's the old version: doesn't have VR and the upgraded optics. It will have some CA. You get what you pay for.....

The new version will run you about $600.

it will have some CA? sorry, im new to the photo thing. So not sure what you mean.

Also same reason to why i dont wanna spend 600 on something right now. Id figure id just work my way up.

Or coming from experience what do you guys think? Just jump into the better stuff and start off on a better foot?

You could always buy the sigma lens ..

just saw some. So your saying that i should just get the Sigma 70-300mm over the nikkor one? Its only 40 bucks more for the Sigma one, not bad at all. If its better tho, if not then.. idk

it will have some CA? sorry, im new to the photo thing. So not sure what you mean.
CA = Chromatic Aberration or purple fringing.
Also same reason to why i dont wanna spend 600 on something right now. Id figure id just work my way up.

Or coming from experience what do you guys think? Just jump into the better stuff and start off on a better foot?
You gotta ask yourself how serious are you about photography? If you bought the camera just to snap pics of the family then going with the cheaper stuff might not matter much. But if this is going to be a serious hobby then my suggestion is to get the best stuff you can afford now. Cheaper lenses are okay for what they are but if you're serious about photography they'll be a waste of money because they're not going to give you the quality images you're looking for.

Most reactions

Back