Banquet Shooting

gian133

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey everyone.
i've been shooting for about a month now and have been doing pretty good(i think anyways). now here is the issue. as my family has found out of my new hobby i have been volunteered. i need to take pictures at a banquet/dinner dance for a club i am a part of. pictures of speeches, people at tables, the group of officers/president, etc.
im not against this at all (it will be a good expirence) and i know that they dont expect an amazing photographer quality but i would like to do a decent job. im still not really comfortable using all the manual setting on may camera yet(d40). i do have a very cheap flash (phoenix something i got for super cheap) that could be used but not sure how it would work out.

any suggestions to help me out would be great.
thanks
gian

now here is the issue. as my family has found out of my new hobby i have been volunteered.

lol, you've been involuntarily volunteered. I get this often by my girlfriend. I would recommend plenty of indoor practice using your flash. In your situation, your flash will be your best friend. Learn flash photography techniques such as bouncing. Samanax has a good list of links on flash photography info.

is bouncing possible with high ceilings. it is at a big open hall probably 30ft ceilings and big enough for 500 people. i am allready starting to practice though.

thanks
gian

is bouncing possible with high ceilings. it is at a big open hall probably 30ft ceilings and big enough for 500 people. i am allready starting to practice though.

thanks
gian

Just can't wait to see the answers. I shot a Borthday party in an Antium, with 40 foot ceilings, live trees, an indoor park setting. It was nearly impossible, and I had mixed results.

So dark the auto focus didn't work. I used ear rings, shirt buttons, eyes or anything that would give me a spot to focus on. Tried three different types of diffusers, I'd say that none really worked "best".

Bowl/Lambency on 580-EX, cap diffuser on 580-EX, and clip on, over the on camera flash.

Good thing it was friends and I was getting paid food and cake. :lol:

Most reactions

Back