Barn Swallow - How to capture?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm putting this in beyond basics because this had to be the hardest bird alive to capture!

Here's my best so far and it's pathetic!

Any tips to increase my chances of a good capture?

3798965428_a993221650_o.jpg

Not meaning to sound sarcastic, but have you tried looking near a barn? :lol: Seriously, I had the opportunity awhile back to photograph some swallows in a barn on an historic site I vistied. I was able to lean on the barn half door and aim up at the ceiling where they build their nests. In this case there were several dozen in the eaves of the barn and they were more than willing subjects. This is one of several shots I got, not great, but...

DSC04129Afr.jpg

:lol:

I guess I should have been more specific... finding them isn't the hard part, they are all over here.

The hard part is getting a sharp picture of one in flight.

Nice photo though!

flying birds are TOUGH.

I've been trying for a while and not come out with any worth posting. Let me know when you figure out how.

I've gotten a few geese, ducks, pigeons and a dove so far that I'm happy with but these dang things only fly the same direction for about 8 nanoseconds and they are FAST not to mention small.

yeah the big birds seem to pick a path and stick with it. I've been trying to get some terns and gulls, but they do the same darting thing when they fly looking for fish and such.

:lol:

I guess I should have been more specific... finding them isn't the hard part, they are all over here.

The hard part is getting a sharp picture of one in flight.

Nice photo though!

:lol: Glad you have a sense of humor. I've never been able to get one in flight, just sitting on the barn rafters and I got some shots of a tree swallow sitting on a nesting box. I guess swallows are as hard to capture as humming birds. Good luck.

You need a camera with good clean high ISO and a fast 400-600mm lens, I cannot see getting one easily without it, as the birds are tiny and fly fast. They are also naturally very shy, so "birding lenses" are the best bet.

I've got the first half covered (Nikon D90, does really good up to about 3200 ISO). The second half I'll need to save up for for about 10 years :lol:

I think you're right though... time to bump up the ISO (200/400) just isn't going to cut it, plus I also agree that I need more reach as they are usually flying over the middle of the river.

It'll take time and practice, but I think once I finally get the shot it will all be worth it.

Like Jerry said.Really though it is all trial and error, with alot of practice and, patience mixed in. Also there is a fair amount of luck added.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back