Battery grip for D7000?

When I try to go cheap, I end up paying twice. Once for the cheap thingy and then again when I buy the OEM I should have bought in the 1st place

When I try to go cheap, I end up paying twice. Once for the cheap thingy and then again when I buy the OEM I should have bought in the 1st place

can't say it wasn't a gamble,but so far,so good

Since it's such a common topic, I wanted to drop by and share my thoughts on the grip again

I purchased this from BH photo
Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for Nikon D7000 BG-N4 B&H Photo Video

because I am not a professional, I don't need a battery grip, and if I'm spending over $200, it will be on glass.

Originally, the shutter speed adjustment wheel was not working properly. Disconnected, reconnected a bunch of times, worked once, never again. Sent back and exchanged, the new one works. The fit is fairly tight. It does have a slight wiggle to it, very miniscule, that I imagine could get worse over time. I'm not too worried about it, because when I say it's "slight," I mean it doesn't even wiggle a full millimeter. It looks natural on the camera, it looks like it would have come with the camera originally.

All functionality is there. The adjustment wheels don't feel as smooth as on the camera, I imagine the MD-11 solves this. Both wheels work, AE/AF lock button works, and the small cursor button works. The button is a little small and not as accurate as using the camera. Holds another Nikon battery, or six AA's. Haven't tried the AA's.

to sum: if I could afford it, or even was making any money off my photos, I would get the Nikon for sure. I got mine for fun, and I don't use it all the time because it makes my camera too bulky for my bag, it can be bulky for just walking around taking snapshots, and (positive and negative) draws a lot of attention when you're shooting. This grip works, it's worth what I paid for it. The MD-11 probably is more solidly built if you need the build quality.

I have the MD-D11 on mine. I love it.

However, I've mentioned this before... I have a buddy who has a 3rd party grip by a company named "meike" and he absolutely loves it. The only difference I can find, is that the 3rd party grip is made of plastic and mine is magnesium. So, it has a much cheaper feel to it. On the positive side, it's much lighter, and the grip tape stuff is softer and better feeling to the touch.

Not to mention, the 3rd party is $60 versus $215.

I kind of wish I wouldn't have spent so much and just gotten the third party, to be honest.

LAST TIME I'm giong to comment on this. (And I'm sure you can guess why)

alright. Vello grip is out. Maybe. I was using it last night, and for some strange reason the display won't work when the grip is connected and engaged. I have no idea why, it just won't. Took the grip off, LCD display worked just fine. Put the grip on, won't work. Won't display images when I hit the > button, won't pull up the settings when I hit 'menu', nothing. Locked the shutter button on the grip (disengage?) and the display works. Engage it, they stop working. I'm hoping I can return or fix it. STILL a better price than the Nikon.......... BUT AT WHAT COST?

wtf, vello, wtf....

Where are all the guys who have had third party brand 'x' for a week and a half and have had absolutely no problems? Don't they alwaays popup about this far into these threads?

Wow what are hater you are lol.

Let's compare the $50 product to the $215 dollar product. Of course the Nikon grip is going to be better, but not $150 better. Not by a long shot.

Where are all the guys who have had third party brand 'x' for a week and a half and have had absolutely no problems? Don't they alwaays popup about this far into these threads?

Wow what are hater you are lol.

Let's compare the $50 product to the $215 dollar product. Of course the Nikon grip is going to be better, but not $150 better. Not by a long shot.

I bought a $60 knock-off as soon as they hit ebay. If it dies, I'll buy another one, and they're $30 now. I can buy the cheap knock-offs until my D7000 dies and still be money ahead. If you're fretting about a cheap one kicking the bucket on you, then why the he11 not just buy TWO of 'em and have a spare? You'll still be money ahead!

I use a 3rd party grip on my D7000.

For £30 I couldn't care less if it breaks in 6 months time. The Nikon branded grip is over £200!!

I bought a $60 knock-off as soon as they hit ebay. If it dies, I'll buy another one, and they're $30 now. I can buy the cheap knock-offs until my D7000 dies and still be money ahead. If you're fretting about a cheap one kicking the bucket on you, then why the he11 not just buy TWO of 'em and have a spare? You'll still be money ahead!

Buuuut by the time you pay for the 3 party's gear you could allocated those funds to the Nikon OEM.
I bit the bullet bought the OEM ..never looked back :)

Buuuut by the time you pay for the 3 party's gear you could allocated those funds to the Nikon OEM.

Instead, I funded something much more important: Good glass.
fiufiu.gif

Well played Sparks lol my, lens budget went to pocket wizards(3) flex, and battery grip. I'd say money well spent.

Well played Sparks lol my, lens budget went to pocket wizards(3) flex, and battery grip. I'd say money well spent.

OEM Grip AND Pocket Wizards :lol:...

Kind of reminds me of the houses I used to work in on the north shore. $20,000 electronic deadbolt system... on heavy duty doors... with person sized windows on each lol.
Don't get suckered into paying top dollar for a false sense of security.

OEM Grip AND Pocket Wizards :lol:...

Kind of reminds me of the houses I used to work in on the north shore. $20,000 electronic deadbolt system... on heavy duty doors... with person sized windows on each lol.
Don't get suckered into paying top dollar for a false sense of security.

Good point but fresh batteries with good equipment = less headaches in the future.

I bought the wizards because
I want equipment that's going to outlast last me. The invest now or pay later mindset.

And know no matter what comes out, the flex transceivers will still hold its own weight.

It's the same mindset for people buy quality glass. I firmly believe with my current skill level I am not ready for that sweet, sweet 85 1.4 (homer drool) lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back