What's new

Battery Grip?

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
314
Reaction score
3
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it worth it to buy the Nikon battery Grip, or are the off brands a better deal?

I don't mind paying for the Nikon, if it's worth it.

Thanks!
 
i was debating for a off brand vs the nikon one for my d90 and bought the nikon and i really liked it. i did the same for my d7000
 
When I bought my D90,I was also on the fence with the battery grip.

I bought the Nikon grip and love it.I will never go without one on the camera.
 
The feel and weather sealing on the Nikon one is better, but the fit and function are nearly identical. I prefer the Nikon brand ones, even at a much inflated cost.
 
Yep did the Zeikos ZE-NBG90 Battery Power Grip for Nikon D80 & D90.

And yep the little twist lock for battery door broke off the second day I had it.
Sent back for refund.

Found a used Nikon MB-D80 grip on craigslist for $90 delivered to my door.
As many get them and find they don't like so sell them.

Yep would stick with New if possible and the Nikon version.
As I may have gotten the replacement and it would have done fine.
But maybe not and after the return date. Plus would be a nagging question in the back of my mind.
So would rather spend a bit more for peace of mind.
.
 
Looks like everyone says go with the Nikon.

Thanks!
 
When I went full bore digital I could not afford d2x's so I bought 2 d200's instead and equipped them with MB-d200 grips. Four grips later, only one does not have a broken door latch. They are not the best solution but if you get one I too would suggest Nikon brand. At least you know who is supporting the warranty. Your mileage may vary of course.
 
Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING wrong with the off brand ones I've had (Zeikos was the best). I'm just a gear junkie and wanted the best, I had no justification for it myself, but I don't regret it.
 
I use the Nikon grip for my D300 & D700 (interchangeable). However, I could not justify the battery upgrade. I use 8 Eneloop AA's in my grip.
 
Off-brand, I can't see spending three times as much for the name-brand.

There really is no reason to buy the name-brand other then how it makes you "feel."
 
Off-brand, I can't see spending three times as much for the name-brand.

There really is no reason to buy the name-brand other then how it makes you "feel."
Your objective, well reasoned and supported by data comments are appreciated.
 
I use the Nikon grip for my D300 & D700 (interchangeable). However, I could not justify the battery upgrade. I use 8 Eneloop AA's in my grip.

I still roll with a single battery in mine. More for balance and control than battery life.





p!nK
 
There really is no reason to buy the name-brand other then how it makes you "feel."

Now that's not true... the Nikon brand has more weather sealing, and the D300/D300s/D700 one can give you an extra FPS shooting speed.
 
I have an off brand one that came with two extra batteries for $55 shipped off of eBay. It has solid feel, same controls, and looks the same as the Canon grip. I cannot be any happier. There are some youtube videos showing the comparisons.
 
Yep did the Zeikos ZE-NBG90 Battery Power Grip for Nikon D80 & D90.

And yep the little twist lock for battery door broke off the second day I had it.
Sent back for refund.

Found a used Nikon MB-D80 grip on craigslist for $90 delivered to my door.
As many get them and find they don't like so sell them.

Yep would stick with New if possible and the Nikon version.
As I may have gotten the replacement and it would have done fine.
But maybe not and after the return date. Plus would be a nagging question in the back of my mind.
So would rather spend a bit more for peace of mind.
.

I picked up the Zeikos for my D90 and honestly I have not had any issues. Used the money I saved from buying the Nikon grip and put it towards 70-200mm VR II. As everyone keeps reading around here, put your money towards good glass. I'm just doing what I was told.... :mrgreen:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom