battery life

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a ten year old olympus with a 1-1/2 lcd screen, auto focus, zoom and flash. If I try to compose using the lcd, I can burn through the four 1-1/2 v AA batterys in a big hurry. I'm probably going to replace it with a Nikon D-90 with it's huge 3"+ lcd screen, not to mention the power that vibration damping, silent wave motors, in camera editing, built in flash etc. will chew up. I know battery technology has come a long way, but with all that power draw, should I buy a whole bunch of extra battery packs ? I used to be a professional (film) photographer documenting marine biologists at sea and in the lab. Now that I'm retired, I would like to learn general photography, and the scope that digital offers, so I'll probably be tough on batterys learning. We used to have an experssion; "Shoot everything three times, film's cheap." That doesn't seem to be true any more. Any replys will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tom Beard

DSLRs have much longer battery life than point and shoot cameras (though I have no idea what kind of Olympus you have) and modern battery tech means far longer lives. I don't have specific numbers on the D90 but my modern SLR gets 900-1000 shots to a charge.

My D90 got excellent life, about 850 rounds even using the 70-200, VR.

If you go with a battery grip, you will be stellar, the most you will need is 3 batteries.

The batteries should last much longer than what you are used to in a 10 year old camera. You're right that there's even more stuff using the battery power, but it's much more efficient than they used to be.

I like the expression about film being cheap. Temporary use of megapixels is even cheaper! :D I always advise people to shoot and shoot more. Deleting the pictures afterwards is easy and better than not getting the shot because you only took one.

Most reactions

Back