Be Careful Out There

At Pt Reyes National Seashore, sneaker waves are deadly. They crash 20 to 50 feet further into the beach without warninf and sweep folks away. There is a rocky point that folks can't resist getting out onto. There is a placque there engraved with about a couple dozen names of folks washed to their deaths. The beach is wonderful at sunset, waves breaking over rocks with the sun setting behind. Now 100' from the water is sheer cliffs with only one way up. Don't pay attention and the tide can come in between you and the path. The tide can come all the way to the cliff. Again, don't mess with mother nature.

@mrca I've noticed most of the waterfalls around us all have big signs up that say jumping or kayaking over the falls is not allowed. Our local city has a beautiful 90' tall waterfall within the city limits.They had to pass a new ordinance a couple years ago making it illegal to boat over the falls after two kayakers went over. Fortunately they werent hurt.

@mrca I've noticed most of the waterfalls around us all have big signs up that say jumping or kayaking over the falls is not allowed. Our local city has a beautiful 90' tall waterfall within the city limits.They had to pass a new ordinance a couple years ago making it illegal to boat over the falls after two kayakers went over. Fortunately they werent hurt.
Folks don't realize the danger of sneaker waves. But intentionally kayaking over a 90' falls is intentional. Look at it as chlorine in the gene pool. Was it Will Rogers who said never underestimate the stupidity of the people. But we photographers have to be careful about target fixation as we can walk into danger.

Years ago when I fished in the Catoctin mountains, I wouldn't think twice about walking on fallen logs to cross the creek, or jumping over them to make my way through the woods. Not anymore: falls can be more devastating at my age and you never know about copperheads and timber rattlers lying in the leaves on the other side of the log. I've gotten less stupid in my old age.

@snowbear the issue of snakes is real. I've come across them both on and off trails. Many years ago I was using a handheld GPS to layout the footprint of our house. As I lifted my foot to step over a log, instinct told me to look down. Good thing as there was a large Copperhead coiled to strike on the other side. It's easy to get distracted and forget the dangers.

Oh, I know. Once I found a nice wild blacberry patch. Went to pick some and the leaves moved. Needless to say, so did I, the opposite direction.

G'day all

A newbie to this forum and looking into various threads ...

We have a member of our family who died via falling off a 350ft / 120m cliff.

He had crossed the safety barrier "just like us .... to get a better view" -- and a ranger noticed that one vehicle had not left the car park the night before. His body was found still with his two cameras around his neck. He left behind a wife and 2 small children

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back