Beach shoot - sunrise or sunset? location Miami beach

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all, I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!
December in Miami has beautiful blue skies, I have a photoshoot in the beach, I usually have done shoots in the early morning as the sun is rising over the sea/horizon. I've being suggested a sunset shoot perhaps, sun sets in the sea in the other side of Florida(Naples/West). I usually use a gold reflector, looking to us a new EF 70-200 2.8L.

Any suggestions pro/cons on shooting sunset over sunrise or viceversa?

Not sure you can generalise that much. Sunrise vs sunset would be different every day in the same location, and for different locations the difference in direction the light is coming from will in some ways determine your shoot and determine which is best...

Generally I worry about the background more than the light. From which direction do you want the sun to light the subject and what background do you want to see?

Well I usually do beach shoots in the morning the model faces west, sun is coming up from the water,beach/water is behind the model, I use a reflector to light her up. I shoot with my back to the west.

Sunset configuration I will have my back to the sun, light will be direct to the model. Although I can move north or south and use the reflector.

You will have squinting problem on the model. Best time would be when the sun is not visible on the horizon anymore but you can still see the light. Maybe put the sun in an angle a little bit while you are waiting for it to come down and use reflector/strobe.

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes possibly I will scout the area today around sunset

Most reactions

Back